·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Would make changing wheels easier.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I believe that if you have the diff protector (some of them, anyway) that it is sufficient enough to use it as a jacking point.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
:eek:

i would NOT do that. first off, balancing the rear end of a 3200 lb car on one point is a bad idea. for the money for the difff protector, you could by two jackstands, and lunch for four.

second, why risk it? is it really worth the supposed convenience to puncutre the diff protector and possible ruin the rear diff?

dR

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
People on I-Club say it's ok to jack up the rear by the rear differential...but then again, it's from I-Club, so... :confused:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
dR is right. Never balance the back end of a car on a single point!!!

There are plenty of frame members to jack under. It is probably OK to jack from the diff protector, but not on the diff itself. I'll check my service manual for jacking points.

-Jim

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just wondering. The last two times I jacked up the rear I just put a jack stand on the frame behind the wheel and left of the exhaust.

·
Registered
310 Posts
dark_rex said:
:eek:

i would NOT do that. first off, balancing the rear end of a 3200 lb car on one point is a bad idea. for the money for the difff protector, you could by two jackstands, and lunch for four.

second, why risk it? is it really worth the supposed convenience to puncutre the diff protector and possible ruin the rear diff?

dR
Yeah, better safe then sorry.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
If you have full skid plates for front and rear(as in ~3/16" thickness), I wouldn't worry about jacking up a car with the skid plates. Rally cars are constantly being jacked this way. However, if you aren't in a rush, put it on jackdtands, safest way.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Check your Owner's Manual

The rear diff and the front cross-member that covers your oil pan are the recommended jacking points.

As far as balancing the car on a single point, you're not...unless you jack up both the front & rear at the same time. The opposite end of the car has 2 wheels (or 2 jack stands) on the ground, giving you a tripod effect.

Having said all that, don't jack up your car by any center point with one of those POS $25 floor jacks. Yes, it will (and did) fall. Threw mine away many years ago.

Spend a hundred bucks on a good HD floor jack.

Peace,

Curtis

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
KurleeDaddeeWRX said:
And since we are on the same subject of jacking up the car. Here is the liftpoints for the stock jack for the spare tire. FYI.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

p.s. Can I be an ADMINISTRATOR now?:D
LOL

good get KD

dR

·
Registered
31 Posts
all you guys that are preaching not jacking the car up by one middle point know that 3 points make a plane don't you?

I'm so glad someone actually posted from the manual the jacking points that are the rear diff and front cross member... I jack mine up that way whenever possible to avoid as much damage to the body as possible.

BTW, how do you guys get jackstands under the sills if you're not jacking by the center points on the car?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts