ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, my front brakes are..gone, lol. Nothing is left of them but my rear are ok...

Can i buy just a pair of front brakes or do u HAVE to buy all four brakes.

Also can u even buy just front brakes or are all packages for 4...

Thanks for all replys in advance
Thomas

P.S you can recommend some nice good brakes as well:D

·
Registered
577 Posts
Breaks are sold in pairs meaning that they are to be used either wiht both front breaks or both rear breaks. If you buy a set of pads it will come with 4 pads. remember that each wheel has a pad inside and outside of the rotor. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
yes.

but you can get all 4 replaced for $60-$90, so if you're going to bother doing it, you may as well do them all.

I just got a set of Axxis Metal Masters and I like them. cost me $89 on Ebay. they're a little less heat-resistant the the Axxis Ultimates (lots of people on here have them), but unless you're doing repeated 120-0 stops or live at a 5000 ft elevation and have to commute to sea level to work on a daily basis you won't notice a difference. They produce A LOT less dust than the Ultimates (they're also more expensive).

the best advantages of the Metal Masters over the Ultimates are

1) MUCH less brake dust (with Ultimates, your wheels will ALWAYS be dirty)

2) Ultimates are slightly less effective when they're cold. (and slightly more effective when they're warmed up)

so...for mostly daily driving with occasional track/rally use Metal Masters are a better choice, if you want predominantly track pads than Ultimates are for you.

took me about 5 hours to get them in...but only because I was replacing my brake lines and painting the calipers while also replacing the pads. I could have probably done the whole job in about 1-2 hours if all I was doing is replacing the pads.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Richie03 said:
Breaks are sold in pairs meaning that they are to be used either wiht both front breaks or both rear breaks. If you buy a set of pads it will come with 4 pads. remember that each wheel has a pad inside and outside of the rotor. Hope this helps.
so one car will need 8 pads?

·
Thinking Man's Engine
3,013 Posts
yes, 8 pads.

Chances are, you'll probably need some fresh rotors also, since the rotors are pretty thin to start, and Subaru doesn't give much room for wear.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
i don't know...I just did mine and the rotors were fine. If they're not warped and to scored too bad...keep them. They should last through AT LEAST 2 pad changes. Like I said, I got about 82K on mine and the rotors were fine. I wouldn't turn them...they're too thin for that, but if they work, then don't change them. Also change your pads before they get down to the metal. If you start hearing metal on metal noises when you brake, you pretty much have to get new rotors.

the pads work just like the ones you see on bikes. you have a caliper with a pad on either side of the wheel...so 4 for the front wheels and 4 for the rear.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Blarg-
Not to second guess what you're saying, but the ultimates are a STREET pad. I've done track days on them, but they aren't quite a track pad, won't deal with the heat, and will fade.

They'll be fine for street, great for autox, but once you're putting them up to temps like you'll see on track or a rally stage, look elsewhere.

Jay

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update , i went with the Carbotech Bobcat Front Brake Pads and rear.

Im pretty sure my rotors are doing well.

I bought the back brakes just in case. Ill install them this x-mas break when i am home from school.

Thanks for all the replys, i hope i have good luck with these brakes!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts