ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm really dumb when it comes to alignment and wheels..

I'm getting some new rims soon, just have to find some more money ;) All I know is that the wheels will be 18" and I'll run 225 or 235 tires.

Ok I know I have to keep the rolling diameter close to stock so I don't mess ut the speedo gear and stuff..

1. Would I need a 7.5" inch rim or a 8" ?

How do I know, what is best and why?

2. What about offset?

A higher offset number will that mean that the wheel "moves" more from the car or more towards the car? I would like the wheel to be as far out as possible without rubbing on a slightly lowered, car with stiff suspension. How much offset should I try?

3. What is the stock offset?

Sorry for the potentially dumb questions ;)

To answer myself I guess on question 1 that a 7.5 is better if it fit because the tire will protect the rim more when I drive on gravel and on rocks, but will a 235 fit on a 7.5 inch rim? if not will a 225 fit? (not that I'll do that much with thoose wheel but..)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Answer to #2:
The lower the offset, the further out the centerline of the tire will be. Stock offset is 52mm. Sedan will tolerate lower offset better than wagon because of the wider wheel-arches, but still I think don't go more than 5mm or so lower, you'll run the risk of rubbing the wheel-arch. Of course, you could always do this: http://www.andrews.edu/~johnsonm/howto/rollfender.html which may give you another couple of mm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts