ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't know squat about brakes at the moment and one thing I've always wondered is what do people mean when they say 2-pot, 4-pot, 6-pot, etc...? Sorry for the noobiness.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
The number of cylindres or pistons that move the caliper to the disc varies. Some systems use one large unit while others use two or more smaller units. Claimed advantages include force distribution and are valid up until the number of "pots" used gets silly and bling wins over function.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I really don't know squat about brakes at the moment and one thing I've always wondered is what do people mean when they say 2-pot, 4-pot, 6-pot, etc...? Sorry for the noobiness.
everyone starts somewhere man, ok, when theyre talking about 2, 4, and 6 pot their talking about the number of pistons contained in the caliper, the idea being more pistons=more braking force, and more balanced braking as well, now depending on the application and power you have, you need more pistons, but 6 pot are normally reserved for true track cars etc, normally 4 piston would be a good compromise btw price and performance

1 - 4 of 4 Posts