ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hy guys, I have a 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon and its been treating me very well until a couple of months ago. After changing the oil to the car I noticed that while driving it you a smell a strong smell of oil but not smoke so I didn't think anything of it. Fast forward to current day, and now there's white smoke. I am friends with the previous owner and from what he has told me, the car was never tuned after installing a turbo XS catless downpipe and a Spec-D tuning exhaust so he claims the car is running rich and that's why I can smell oil. but to make a long story short, NOTHING IS MAKING SENSE TO ME! because if the car has been running rich this entire time, why is the white smoke starting now? I want to believe it's my gaskets and the white smoke is coolant seeping into the combustion chamber but I want to get other people's opinions on what it is since I'm a new Subaru owner and I'm stumped, can someone please help me out?
I will insert some links to unlisted videos of the car before the smoke and after in a couple of days

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
Excessive rich mixture can cause cylinder wash which in turn wears the piston rings quicker and thereby increases oil burning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excessive rich mixture can cause cylinder wash which in turn wears the piston rings quicker and thereby increases oil burning.
Okay thank you, and what would you recommend to do next?
Do you think it’s too late to get it tuned?

should I replace the piston rings

or just buy a completely new motor?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Also here are the videos i was mentioning and each has its purpose as to why I'm confused. keep in mind that the car was never tuned before or after any of these videos

- This was when the previous owner had the car and drove it for the next month or 2.

- This is when I changed the oil to the car and noticed the smell of oil but never got any smoke.

- and this video was taken just a couple of hours ago, the smoke is not that noticeable in the video but in person, you can definitely see (it in each of these videos the car did not exceed past 4-5,000 RPM even in the 2nd video

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
That is definitely oil smoke (blue tint)

Time for a compression and leakdown test.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts