ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just installed the basemap on my ecu. It didnt ask anything about a realtime map. Ive driving it around for about 120 miles today. Im running stage 2 93 oct....in the morning was getting around 10 psi...and now i am running 13.7 psi...its learning pretty well but slowly. I was wondering if my accesport is running off a realtime map not the basemap?

If this question is to hard to understand please tell me, lol...iknow i am getting confused writting it.:p

only reason i am asking is i dont want to switch maps to the 93 stage 2..when i am already on it...cause i dont want to releanr.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I looked at your profile and noticed that you had a MBC, BOV and the 3/16 mod. Try taking those off, and see what how your car reacts. You shouldn't have to switch to a realtime map, the base map should work fine.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oneliner said:
I looked at your profile and noticed that you had a MBC, BOV and the 3/16 mod. Try taking those off, and see what how your car reacts. You shouldn't have to switch to a realtime map, the base map should work fine.
Yea i removed the mbc and 3.16th mod before installation;)

I give it another 200 miles before i change to the map.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
if you havent used any other realtime maps youre still on the base. it only takes 2 seconds to flash realtimes, if you want you can flash your realtime with the same map just to confirm...

but otherwise you should be on basemap.

·
Registered
95 Posts
On Cobb's website they have special maps for cars that aren't getting targeted boost levels. Although it has a warning of "use at your own risk"... You could check that out, or call Cobb, they might have some ideas.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i reset my ecu prior to installing accesport...i think that may have delayed the learning process.

Only reason i am asking is cause i am going to the track today and want to run to my full power!;)

·
Registered
878 Posts
i loaded the basemap for stage 1 93 oct and the same for the realtime map? should i not use the realtime map? just the basemap? car felt somewhat differnet on the base map, it had more of a deep exhaust note and it felt like there was less lag and smoother, what do you guys recommend? or use?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rob420 said:
I am getting my AP in the mail today:wiggles: ....I'm gonna go with the Stage 2 93 real time map, but what is a good base map to use just in case the car dies and you have to disconnect the battery....stock...?...
You will want to run the stage 2 93 as ur base map because it will get rid of the cel codes

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rob420 said:
What happens if the battery is disconnected with the base map stg 2 93?
If ur battery dies, the car will go to the base map

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I know I'm going to sound like a moron, but I'm planning on going AP soon, I've read the ENTIRE cobbtuning website, and I still can't figure out the difference between a basemap and a realtime map. Little help for the EM n00b?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
basemap PERMANANTELY flashes the ECU. this is only allowed 100 times before you cannot reflash ever again.

realtime is for temporary flashes whenever you want, however much you want. anti theft-valet-economy-etc etc

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Oh so the basemap is what you DL to the AP, and the realtime is what you flash your ECU with? Then why can you DL both from the cobb website? im still kinda confused :confused:

EDIT: I kinda get it now. So what would the point be of flashing in a basemap? why not just always do realtime maps?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Blue2004WRX said:
Oh so the basemap is what you DL to the AP, and the realtime is what you flash your ECU with? Then why can you DL both from the cobb website? im still kinda confused :confused:

EDIT: I kinda get it now. So what would the point be of flashing in a basemap? why not just always do realtime maps?
One reason is because realtime maps go away when the battery is disconnected.

·
Registered
878 Posts
in computer terms your base map is stored in flash on a chip perminately, which is like BIOS on your computer, when you turn your computer off whatever you save on your hard drive stays, but a computer also has RAM which needs power all the time if you turn the power off you loose whatever you got stored there, thats why you need to load windows every time you start your computer becasue the information gets taken of the hard drive or the master boot record which is on the first cylinders on the hard drive and loaded into RAM. Now flash is not like hard drive in physical terms, flash is like BIOS which is a chip which is like a notepad in real world with instructions written on it. just like a notepad when you write something on it it won't dissapear when you close the notebook. Now with out flash your car would not be able to do its functions becasue it would loose its instructions as soon as your battery died, so basemap is those permanant instructions that wont get wiped out when the battery dies. Now the real time map is like a file on the hard drive that gets loaded at startup in the RAM to, for example tell the computer how much fuel to use, etc. On the basemap the values are hardcoded and don't change and better not, real time map is to fine tune the values and get updated by the ECU when the engine is running and change all the time. I hope this helps your understanding why you need both of them, or rather why you have the two of them, becasue just with basemap your car will run, but with just realtime map your car would not run at all, as soon as your battery died.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
So you would flash on a basemap, then the realtime map, and whenever you disconnect your battery you would reflash on a realtime map? I think I get it now. I didn't realize there was a performance difference between the same map, realtime and base. Thanks!

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Blue2004WRX said:
I didn't realize there was a performance difference between the same map, realtime and base. Thanks!
Uhh, I don't think that there is a performance difference between base and realtime maps. (for example a Stage 2 93oct base, or Stage 2 93 oct realtime) Realtime can just be changed without using up your flash limit. (so you can go to economy or valet or whatever.)

Did someone say that there's a performance difference between base and realtime? I missed that somewhere.:confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts