ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put on my spt cat back exhaust and sounds sexy. I'm from ny and wondering if I can get a ticket for exhaust even tho the part is from subaru.sorry if the post is not in the right section.(2011 wrx)

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Highly doubtful. It is not loud, so you are good to go.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Technically yes.Any modification to any car in the state of NY is illegal.

The SPT exhaust looks & sounds OEM .If you had a fart can this would be a different case.

Now will an LEO pull you over & go crawling under your car to see if your exhaust is legal?Highly unlikely.Unless you get pulled over the most anal of them.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
According to NY VTL, any modification to the exhaust to make it louder is illegal. I'm not a lawyer, but considering you can obtain a car with an SPT exhaust from the factory (or the dealership installs it upon receipt before delivery), I would say you should be fine with it.

As Tony mentioned, the SPT is a subtle exhaust upgrade, and is not likely to draw extra attention. I have a Borla catback on my car that's quite a bit louder than OE, but looks stock, and have yet to be issued a citation for it, even when pulled over already.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
the dealership installs it upon receipt before delivery
This is also key.Apparently the company only considers parts installed before delivery to be OEM & anything installed afterwards(even an OEM part installed by a dealer) to be aftermarket.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx for the help guys. I didn't wanna be paranoid while driving so this would be good. Cuz around here they attract to noise so I should be good.

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
^^^^ Very funny.

That's the very reason I keep a white man in my trunk at all times.

·
Registered
778 Posts
This is also key.Apparently the company only considers parts installed before delivery to be OEM & anything installed afterwards(even an OEM part installed by a dealer) to be aftermarket.
I got my SPT exhaust installed at port (before the dealer). :confused:

BTW, that NY VTL is dumb.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A friend of mine was in a similar situation. He had bought a used Ram pickup and had a really anal neighbor who was convinced that the exhaust had been modified to sound extra loud. The neighbor called the police to complain. The cops had him drive up and down the street and said it was fine. There was no way the beat cops were going to be able to tell if the exhaust on a 15 year old pickup had been modified from stock unless it was super loud. You'd need to know WAY too much about every car. I wouldn't sweat it...just don't piss off your neighbors.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
AmateurX said:
BTW, that NY VTL is dumb.
That depends entirely on the particular LEO who you're dealing with...

Many will not enforce this violation unless they feel the need to, when extra attention is brought to it (e.g., angled outlet, overly loud, etc.); this is the spirit of the law. Sometimes, they will issue it as a roadside reduction to another charge. Sometimes, they tack that on because the driver is being an ***hole.

Then there are the occasional bad apples that will enforce that law to the letter instead of the intent, and give LEOs a bad wrap. While they have every right to do so, they also have the right to use discretion. You attract more flies with honey...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts