ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my friends were coming back from the lake. My friend in a maxima was in front and another friend in a acura rsx was in the middle. I was in the back in my Subaru. We were coming over this hill and my radar detector went off (Legal in Saskatchewan). soo i looked and i was going about 120 kph, we came over the hill and we were going the same way as the cop. I was the only one to slow down. The cop, (he wasnt an rcmp or municiple cop, he was like cop of peace or something), radard behind him and picked up my friends infront of me speeding. I was going maybe 110kph then and they were still catching up to the cop going 150kph. I was pretty far back untill they started slowing down. and i caught up a little because of them slowing down. He did some meneuver and pulled all of us over. He gave all of us speeding tickets just because we knew eachother and were traveling in a group even though i was a ways back. He didn't even clock my car and gave me a speeding ticket. He showed me the radar and it said 150 on it. but it was my friend in the front speeding and the one in the middle. So he gave me a ticket stating i was going 150 when i was maybe going 110kph. How do i fight this in court? Can he give me a ticket when he didnt even get my speed and when hes just assuming i was going the same speed as my friends in front. I had another person in my car that witnessed i wasnt speeding because i picked the cop up with my detector before he could even see me.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
you'll have to look up the laws for canada, but I know that if you (personally) are getting a ticket, the cop must have used some method to determine your speed as outlined by your state's (or province's I guess) traffic code. If they clocked one of you guys, he gets a ticket, the others don't, simple as that. Canadian traffic laws may differ.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well exactly he told me he didnt have my speed but since i was traveling with them i get a ticket too

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
He can (and obviously did) give you a ticket, and you can fight it in court. It'll be up to the judge to decide if you have to pay or not. This is one I would probably contest.

I got a speeding ticket about five years ago that I went ahead and paid immediately. I recently realized I could have saved myself $220 if I had taken it to court because the officer was concealed while he was shooting radar.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i dont understand how he can give me a ticket when theres no proof i was speeding, I guess im innocent untill proven guilty, and yeah its 220 bucks

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
He could have taken you to jail, that's just how it is. But whether or not you have to pay in the end is up to a judge (at least in America).

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He can take me to jail? im 17 and i wasnt speeding. Hes got **** all on me. Its his word against me and the 4 people i was with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
if you don't sign for the ticket then yes he can arrest you. at least over here in america, not sure how it is over there. yes talk to your lawyer, this is a easy case to win considering you were 3 cars behind and you have a witness.

if he also has a on dash camera you can have them play that back and show the judge that he did say he didn't get you with his radar and he's giving you a ticket based on no evidence and just assumption through your friends cause how are your friends to know that you guys should all be traveling at 150 instead of 110?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Is your radar detector visible?

nighthawk06si said:
if you don't sign for the ticket then yes he can arrest you. at least over here in america
That's CA law. Not all states require you to sign a citation.

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
My wife was pulled over in NY state by at State Trooper along with another car (whom we did not know) we were following and both cars got a ticket. The officer deduced that the car in front of us was going over the speed limit by at least 15 mph by radar. Because he visually determined that we were neither gaining or losing ground on the lead car when we passed, he then deduced that we must have been going the same speed.

The way he put it, we had no chance to beat him in court but I think he just knew we weren't going to drive 5 hours to fight a ticket.

In the OP's case, I would definitely fight this ticket. Especially because the cop was in front of your friend and in motion. He is assuming that because you all know eachother that you were all traveling at the same rate. He had no visual perspective.

·
Registered
882 Posts
He can take me to jail? im 17 and i wasnt speeding. Hes got **** all on me. Its his word against me and the 4 people i was with.
You just answered you own question it his word ( a cop that is trained to be able to visually check speed and is an officer of the law) against the word of a 17 year old punk ass kid. That is how the judge is going to look at it trust me I've been there.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
You just answered you own question it his word ( a cop that is trained to be able to visually check speed and is an officer of the law) against the word of a 17 year old punk ass kid. That is how the judge is going to look at it trust me I've been there.
People who get labled as "punk ass kids" are so because they usually conduct themselves in a manner that would earn them that title.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah sorry im not a punk ass kid. i talked to the cop with respect, I just dont get how he can give me a ticket for not even having my speed. and yes anyway i think it will be an easy case too win I hope

·
Registered
232 Posts
yeah sorry im not a punk ass kid. i talked to the cop with respect, I just dont get how he can give me a ticket for not even having my speed. and yes anyway i think it will be an easy case too win I hope
No matter what you say to the cop or how you say it the cop is always going to be right even if he is clearly in the wrong. I was picking up my girlfriends mustang gt from her house to do some brake work to it and my friend had to drive me over there to get it. On the way back my friend thought it would be a good idea to try and rip past me, as he did there was a cop sitting at a traffic light, the cop saw this pulled out and eventually got behind me and flipped his lights on. We both pulled over and when the cop came to the window he asked why i was racing and who was the person in front of me. First off i was not racing but he assumed i was because the car has exhaust and it pretty loud and since my friend ripped past me he concluded that we must have been racing. I was very polite to the cop and told him straight up it was my gf's car and i would never be caught racing it, and that all i was doing was bringing it to my house to work on the brakes. I ended up getting a ticket for no registration since she had it with her which i should have checked before i picked it up so thats my fault but as the cop was walking away he ws like i didnt even want to pull you over i just wanted the guy in front of you, but he still gave me a ticket. So he was wrong to pull me over but to make himself feel better he had to issue a ticket cause we all know cops love getting off on giving out tickets.

I had another instance with a cop where i was involved in a 3 car accident which was my fault but i was not driving carelessly or anything like that just did not see the oncoming car when i went to make the turn and i got t-boned and pushed into another car. The cops me of course and as everything was getting cleared up the cop came over to me and was like i have to give you a careless driving ticket because there was more then 2 cars involved. He then proceeded to tell me that i can easily get the points knocked off in court and that i shouldnt have a problem. So if i can get the points knocked off in court why not just not give it to me? Want to know why? Because the governor of New Jersey passed a law that if you drop 2 points to 0 you have to pay 250$ in court fees on top of the other 250$ you already pay. Cops are all about money and they will do anything to earn it. If you do not fight the ticket you would just pay it and they get the cash and if you do fight it they still get the cash its a lose lose for us no matter what.

Good luck in court i am sure you will win because all they want is that extra money. :)

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
skudda33 said:
I ended up getting a ticket for no registration since she had it with her which i should have checked before i picked it up so thats my fault but as the cop was walking away he ws like i didnt even want to pull you over i just wanted the guy in front of you, but he still gave me a ticket.
Was this a fix-it ticket?

skudda33 said:
So he was wrong to pull me over but to make himself feel better he had to issue a ticket cause we all know cops love getting off on giving out tickets.
Most of my LEO friends give more breaks than citations, depending on the offense.

skudda33 said:
The cops me of course and as everything was getting cleared up the cop came over to me and was like i have to give you a careless driving ticket because there was more then 2 cars involved. He then proceeded to tell me that i can easily get the points knocked off in court and that i shouldnt have a problem. So if i can get the points knocked off in court why not just not give it to me? Want to know why? Because the governor of New Jersey passed a law that if you drop 2 points to 0 you have to pay 250$ in court fees on top of the other 250$ you already pay. Cops are all about money and they will do anything to earn it. If you do not fight the ticket you would just pay it and they get the cash and if you do fight it they still get the cash its a lose lose for us no matter what.
I never knew that NJ LEO got a percentage of each citation they write...

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
I had another instance with a cop where i was involved in a 3 car accident which was my fault but i was not driving carelessly or anything like that just did not see the oncoming car when i went to make the turn and i got t-boned and pushed into another car.
Then you were careless because you were not paying attention.

I've been pulled over more than once in my life time and I've only gotten a ticket very rarely. From my experience the more respectful you are towards an officer the more chance you'll catch a break. 90% of the people that say they officer was a jerk was because they were probably being rude when all the officer had intended was to tell the driver to slow down...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yup, it is all about respecting the officer. I have been pulled over around 10 times in the last 21 years and only received 2 tickets total.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Weird, I'm always nice to cops, but most of the time they don't even say one word to me, they will just come to my window with the ticket already filled out and hand it to me.. of course it's been at least four years since I've gotten a speeding ticket. I don't act stupid, so I suppose they never really feel the need to lecture me, they know I was speeding, I know I was speeding, ticket issued, and paid.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I wasn't calling you a PUNK ASS KID I am saying that is what the judge is going to be thinking. It is just easier to try and get driving school so your insurance will not go up. If you plead not guilty and try to fight it you can not go back and get driving school.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts