ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i'm not really that big of a import person and don't know much about them. can these cars make up to 650hp? around my area there are alot of high horsepower cars like vettes,03/04 cobras, and camaros and such. can you guys help me out in getting that kind of power out of a sti? have you guys had any encounters with any of these cars?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
definatelly possible.. probably not easy.. and most definatelly not cheap.

hp is generally limited by the funds available.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
like i said i don't know hardly anything abotu these cars and want to know what its going to take to have 600+ hp

·
Registered
1 Posts
They are the perfect go fast rides for 48 year old dudes with no job and three kids. And they are also really keen for 14 year old little boys with no life and a great imagination. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow thats pretty steep for a motor.

what are your guys views on the 03/04 Cobras? i've read up on them a little bit and they seem to be serious machines, they are in the same price range as sti's what do you guys think?

·
Registered
472 Posts
WaNtASTI said:

what are your guys views on the 03/04 Cobras? i've read up on them a little bit and they seem to be serious machines, they are in the same price range as sti's what do you guys think?
You don't need 600+ HP to beat an 03 Cobra :)

a 450 hp STi would tear it up on almost anything off the line, as a rear wheel drive car w/ 600 ponies isn't going to take off that easily without slicks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i dunno about that, there are people putting down 10's with these car, and not doing any motor swaps or anything big like that, just a ported supercharger and a small shot of nitrous. and others have kenne bell,whipple, or prochargers, these cars are putting down serious power and numbers, i haven't seen a sti put down numbers like that, and i'm looking for a street machine since i wont be at the track every other day hell maybe once a month. i've yet to here abotu a sti tear up a 03/04 cobra thats why i'm asking

·
Registered
472 Posts
WaNtASTI said:
i dunno about that, there are people putting down 10's with these car, and not doing any motor swaps or anything big like that, just a ported supercharger and a small shot of nitrous. and others have kenne bell,whipple, or prochargers, these cars are putting down serious power and numbers, i haven't seen a sti put down numbers like that, and i'm looking for a street machine since i wont be at the track every other day hell maybe once a month. i've yet to here abotu a sti tear up a 03/04 cobra thats why i'm asking
If all your concerned with is drag racing than you would probably be better off getting the Mustang. just my .02;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
WaNtASTI said:

HOT ROD magazine did a quick (3 page) comparison of an 04 STi and 04 Cobra.

They were about equal at the strip, running 13.3, with the Cobra trapping 109ish mph vs the STi's 101. This was on street tires, which really limited the Cobra.

On racetrack with turns, the STi was roughly 1.5 seconds faster per lap and much easier to drive. The AWD setup on these cars really does make a loser look like a hero.

The dragstrip results change quickly if you slap a pair of sticky drag radials on the Cobra. That change alone will drop the Cobra to consistent low-12 quarters. Add a pulley kit for a few hundred (increasing the boost above 8 psi), and you're looking at mid-11's.
At this point, you have a 500-ish hp car with straight-line traction.

The same money spent on the STi will get you a (ECU reflash OR piggyback ECU OR ...) and a good exhaust. Total power gains are in the 40/50 whp range. Beyond that point, the pricetag for increased power starts climbing very quickly.

Summary: In stock form, the two cars are pretty comparable. The Cobra gets much faster per dollar spent on mods than the Subie.

Rick

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i dont think hot rod magazine is a very reliable source though. if you are a good driver you can run mid 12's stock. i'm aware that a cobra would be a way better drag car, but what i'm looking for is a car that will perform the best at the street, and be able to put up some good numbers if ever at at 1/4 track. i'm aware that you need to build up the engine on the sti what i want to know is what parts, what companys make the best sti parts. like i said i know clsoe to nothing about the sti's aftermarket and would like some advice on which would be the most productive way to go. i know that the cobra is better hp/dollar in mods but i'm not really worried about that. i'm going to have about $20,000 available for mods and if i can make a sti faster than the high hp cobras than that might be a route i would go.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
doing a streetable 650hp STI is another thing youll have to think about. this wont be a fun daily driver.

but for 20g...you can make it happen no problem...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thats another thing it must run on pump gas because this is not going to be a track car. it will hardly see the track so i want it on pump gas

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
honestly a supra tt sounds more up your alley. you can put down 1000whp in one of those bad boys.

but if you stick with the STI you could get around 450-5 no prob but man...650.. :eek:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts