ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like it says, if i'm driving and shift at like 3-3.5k (i usually shift at 2k) or let some boost build up, as soon as i go off throttle and on the clutch i hear a "PPFfffffffffwhoosshh" kinda sound, kinda sounds like a cheap BOV but it's all stock, so i thought "hmm it recirculates not vents, do i have some sort of air leak some were?" . and frankly i have no idea how to find it and, atm kinda short on money to take it to a mechanic, and tips or suggestions, is this bad or will it be fine if i leave it? its an o8 wrx sedan thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
It could very well be the normal sound. Yes the stock valve recirculates back into the intake but you can still hear that. It very well could be a leak though. Check the BPV and its recirc hose to see if there are any noticeable leaks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all right thanks, and i've been driving it for bout a month now and it's just the first time i've heard it, so i was worried, but yeah, thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
thats weird, I have the same thing. I have an '02 and its all stock except for the cold air intake. I was told that it was just the BOV releasing the pressure. I assumed thats what it was because Im pretty new so I obviously dont know a whole lot about them.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
thats weird, I have the same thing. I have an '02 and its all stock except for the cold air intake. I was told that it was just the BOV releasing the pressure. I assumed thats what it was because Im pretty new so I obviously dont know a whole lot about them.
With an intake there is a good chance it is really just you hearing the BPV releasing pressure, intake will make that sound much more pronounced

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just like it says, if i'm driving and shift at like 3-3.5k (i usually shift at 2k)
My question is why are you shifting at 2k? I dont know about WRXs but in my STi its darn near impossible for me to shift it at that low RPM without getting some lugging. Granted I am new to manual transmissions and there may be something I'm missing at shifting that low.

·
Æternum
19,843 Posts
My question is why are you shifting at 2k? I dont know about WRXs but in my STi its darn near impossible for me to shift it at that low RPM without getting some lugging. Granted I am new to manual transmissions and there may be something I'm missing at shifting that low.
Bahaha you think it's bad on your STi? Try driving a Bugeye... the 2.0L puts down almost zero torque until the turbo spools at ~3500 RPM (stock).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it's just the way i was taught, and it's my first stick as well, i consider it my first REAL car, but anyways i double clutch in, like i hit neutral first, rev a bit, then shift, and i do so at 2k to try and save gas

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
For daily driving it is pointless especially on a stock tranny
This.

OP...what year is your WRX? Its also very possible you could have a snorkus delete or something like that, even if it is stock. That would make the stock BPV and blow-off surge more audible. But this is only the case with 02-07 WRXs...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts