Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that you are not supposed to drift in your wrx becasue applying the e-brake locks the rear wheels and allows the front to keep spinning. Thus, causeing damage to your AWD. But i was wondering how the rally guys do it without messing up theirs... I would love to be able to in parking lots late at night or something, but am scared of ruining my car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have the same tires as you scooby, and was wondering if you do any drifting on them.......?
Or would you suggest putting back on the re-92's before taking part in a drifting session?
thanks

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
GV27 said:
See this thread on e-brake turns.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9816

Why different tires? Just get it sideways. Or are you talking about, like, doing it in the parking lot to just gratuitously burn off the rubber? Then I guess I'd go back to the RE92s.

C
w00t for me i started that ebrake thread...but backto topic don't pull the ebrake unless you are in a life and death situation....it's very easy to drift the car without ebraking it

·
Registered
480 Posts
"i have the same tires as you Scooby, and was wondering if you do any drifting in them." - whistling rexie

Yes, plenty. Especially after a few laps once they got hot and greasy. :D But I don't generally drift on the street. There is one very secluded back road near my house, a couple of nice 90 degree turns, you can see far around them and the only spectators are cows. I admit to practicing here a few times to test the tires, effect of the sway bar, end links and so on.

If you're going to practice drifting, I see no reason to change back to the RE-92's. The Azenis are nice and predictable at the limit, plus all that horrible howling from the RE-92's will attract too much attention. :D I assume you've picked out a safe spot to do your testing.

Happy drifting. :cool:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the responses guys. The only reason i suggested switching back to the re-92's was for the falken azenis benefit. I dont know if i want to wear them down so much due to the fact that they are expensive (well to me anyway)
thanks again:D

·
Registered
907 Posts
ahem...true drifting is done with throttle control, not e-brake, those are for honda kids.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
The WRC cars have a switch in the e-brake system that disengages the center differential. this allows them to lock the rear wheels without doing damage.

in our cars, you would break the center diff by locking the rear wheels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
on STI WRX, it has a electronic control center diff. most of the older Sti (94 and up) have this option, i don't think you could control it manually, but i think that everytime the japanese drifts there WRX, they usually pull the e-brake and the cpu will act to the center diff. I do it myself and had no problems so far. I usually dift in the rain or snow, it more enjoyable. All you need is speed, suspenion and LSD.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/pa4b68b671e5ab45acc2028689cda6d95/fd6882f2.mpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts