ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX wagon (MT)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the WRX world but have been around cars and motorcycles my entire life so I feel like I know a good amount but this is stumping me. I could not pass on this 2005 WRX deal but there was one wire under the hood that baffled me. After further investigation I believe that both camshaft position sensors are not plugged in, I thought that would not allow the engine to run but after spending the last three hours on the internet I am stumped. I noticed some manufacturers make camshaft position sensor delete plugs so I guess it can be done but I could not find anything on this forum discussing it. So let me lay everything out and hopefully someone can help me...

2005 WRX wagon (MT), completely stock, unknown if it was previously modded and returned to stock or not
74,200 miles
Will sometimes start right up and sometimes there is a long crank and slow start (temperature does not appear to matter)
I am getting a small amount of surging between 2400 and 3000 rpms when 15-30% throttle
Other than that it drives great and appears to have the appropriate amount of power

I have attached two pictures, the one is a wiring harness that appears to be bypassed. Please someone help me with identifying this, this wire is on the passenger side of the engine. Second picture is a sensor receptacle (2-prong) that is unplugged, its location is drivers side head above the rear coil pack, there is an identical one that is also unplugged in the same location on the passenger side head. Again please help with identifying these sensors.

My theory is that the previous owner had the car modified and did a camshaft position sensor delete (if that is a thing) and prior to selling it put the vehicle back to stock. The carfax showed extremely consistent maintenance and no upgrades done at the dealership.

Any and all help appreciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also it is not throwing any codes. I’m pretty sure that those two sensors are both camshaft position sensors, but if they are not plugged in how am I not getting a check engine light. So it has to be bypassed somehow, correct?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I plugged my scanner in and it shows that there is a pending p0301 code. But it still has not set off the check engine light. I have determined that the two sensors are definitely the camshaft position sensors and I believe that they were bypassed by the previous owner possibly due to a bigger turbo. I want to get two new ones and will be going with oem. I still need help figuring out the wiring and how to wire it up. Any help would be appreciated because I can not find a wiring schematic through Haynes or online anywhere. Anyone able to help out? Maybe someone else with an 05 wrx can trace the wires back for me and tell me where they go? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just updating anyone who is following along but it appears my engine has been swapped with a JDM EJ20. The place I bought it did not disclose this info and he agreed to take it back for a full refund. I have til Monday to make a decision. The swap is clean and I could not tell but I am not a Subaru expert.

So I called the company the motor was purchased from (I was given the receipt after arguing with the manager) and they stated the motor is JDM and has 45k-55k on it. I then called a local highly recommended shop that specializes in JDM motors and he explained the rumors with JDM swaps and agreed to look over the vehicle on Monday for me.

So I guess my question to everyone is what is your experience with a JDM swap? The company sold it to them for 1,200 dollars. I am still thinking about keeping it if the inspection goes well. But I also would like everyone’s opinion here. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
They can be good, they can be bad. No way for anyone to guesstimate about yours really.

I'm guessing they slapped a ej205 in meaning the engine was at least 15 years old approximately.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. Yes the receipt said for an 02-05 wrx so I believe it is a 15 year old motor. Hopefully the speed shop that is inspecting it can give me a little hope that it’s still going to be a good car. My main concern is that I want and thought I was getting a vehicle that had 74k on it because I would like to do the full Cobb stage 2+ package from their website. I also want to get into some autocross. So we will see.

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yes the receipt said for an 02-05 wrx so I believe it is a 15 year old motor. Hopefully the speed shop that is inspecting it can give me a little hope that it’s still going to be a good car. My main concern is that I want and thought I was getting a vehicle that had 74k on it because I would like to do the full Cobb stage 2+ package from their website. I also want to get into some autocross. So we will see.
You'll outclass yourself with a modified vehicle trying to autox. You'd be better off with a completely stock vehicle.

As for any type of modifications. I would seek the tuning and modification device of a performance shop that specializes in subaru, or does a lot of them. If you like you can call and speak to turn in concepts in Cincinnati they will guide you, sell you what you need and give you the resources to be successful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Speed shop looked it over and I came to a decision to return the car for a full refund. The dealer didn’t have a choice since I had an easy lawsuit on my hands because the salesman lied to me when I asked for all the maintenance records that they did on the car... he failed to mention the JDM engine that was installed.

So anyone know of a clean wrx for sale I’m in the market lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts