ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into purchasing cams and the actual cam not cam gears but yet to find much info about them other than there available and a price but I have not heard or seen any reviews on these and the expected hp gains or if they are even worth the trouble of installation. So please if anyone has experience with them or they know someone that has went thru this trouble I'm very egear to hear the results if they are indeed worth it or just invest the money else were. Thanks for the help I hope.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,205 Posts
Unless the motor is apart already I'd not bother. I don't recall your mods. Is your car mapped with full exhaust already? Stock turbo?

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Cams are LOW on the list of power making mods. Like SD said, unless you have the motor apart already, don't even bother.

Evos are popular to install cams in, Subarus not so much.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Cams are an easy way to make power but yeah...what they said. If you do them 272s are a popular choice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless the motor is apart already I'd not bother. I don't recall your mods. Is your car mapped with full exhaust already? Stock turbo?
It's stock other than a Cobb intake for at least another week or so. Just got tax refund and blew it all at rallysportdirect. So When it gets here I will have a Cobb TBE, TOMEI UEL EXHAUST MANIFOLD, BLOUCH 16g turbo, EXEDY STAGE 1 and flywheel, DW300 fuel pump and 850cc injectors. Then I will of course have to get it pro tuned. I'm looking to get around 350hp. I was just trying to get a take on who has done there cams and what they got outta it. Thanks for the input fellas.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,205 Posts
OK well hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised by the output after the tune and not have to bother with cams.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Until you build the motor, cams will be a waste.

On a 16G turbo, I wouldn't consider anything other than STI or Kelford 264s when it comes to cams. If you have to build the motor, you should be looking at turbos larger than a 16G.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was debating on 16 or 18 for a few days and I've heard allota good things about the 16g. The cam was kinda a last minute options should I shouldn't I, I was bouncing back and forth. It just seems like a bug project and is it worth what I'll get out of it was my question to myself. Ya know? So I'm holding off on the cams so that's why I went 16g. With it all said and done I should be really close to 350WHP im hoping but that's the goal. I really think if I don't achieve it I'll be done anyways I think I've invested enough time an money to be happy with the results either way. Best thing about it is exterior is gonna be bone stock so if ur in the bay area and u see a silver WRX with a license plate that says sleeper don't come up revin or u mite be handing over ur pink or if I hand over the pink it will b a sad sad day for me. Lol. It's ll in good fun. Drive safe

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
With a turbo that small cams would be a waste. Basically what cams will do is shift your powerband to the right. That means unless you have a large enough turbo to keep making power to redline you will just lose power down low and not gain much up top because your turbo will already be out of breath. Running a 16g I wouldn't use any cams more aggressive than the STi cams, those will give you a little more mid/top range power without sacrificing too much down low.

The trouble and cost of removing the engine, pulling the heads, and having them machined for clearance with new buckets and everything really makes it not worth it to mess with the cams unless you're running at least 30r or larger turbo. And at that point you're going to want to have the engine built with forged internals, so cams are kind of a "while you're at it" sort of upgrade. For the cost you would be better off just getting a larger turbo.

At least that's my two cents..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts