Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday night @ 10:30 coming home from the movies...

I was jockeying for position next to him at about 3 light with no luck, I kept getting scr3wed by lane changers.

I gave up and got in in the right turn lane to go home, he slowes down and dives over two lanes to get behind me.

I make my turn in 2nd at about 15 and punch it, he follows suit but I pull away until about 80 when he catches and passes me.

Next light is a left, we are both in front of the two left turn lanes (looks like little Johhny driving Daddys car), light changes, I do a left hand launch (why do I launch better turning than straight?) and leave him like nothing, almost like he isn't trying.

Next light, the left to go up to my steet, I decide to have another go, this time straight. The light turns green before we get there, he takes off, I'm still in second with no chance of catching him.

The next two light are both lefts that put us back on the original street only in the opposite direction, both times I walk all over him.

I love the power of AWD.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not to say I don't believe you, but SS Camaro's are making between 290-300HP at the wheels. Even with AWD, there is no chance of "Killing a SS" considering there is more that 100hp rwhp.

·
Registered
166 Posts
HIGHBOOST said:
Not to say I don't believe you, but SS Camaro's are making between 290-300HP at the wheels. Even with AWD, there is no chance of "Killing a SS" considering there is more that 100hp rwhp.
That's 100 hp stock. 350lbs heavier.

Stage 0 adds 40 or so awhp? Plus a turbo-back. Plus AWD off the line (didn't say how long he went on the last two lights).

Throw in spinning rears on the SS and I see how that could happen. Not demolishing but at least in front.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ericb,

I just noticed you are in Valencia Ca, I also live in Valencia. A good friend of mine owns a 2000 Camaro SS. I think it would be a great idea to line you car and his car up for a quick street race and see what happens. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hmmm, I won't doubt that you stayed ahead of him, but I will doubt that he was a good driver, or that he was trying very hard. Camaro SS's make tons of power, and I don't think you'd stand a chance from a roll, with the mods you have. Sorry.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
*sigh*
:rolleyes:

turn on the barbeque...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey eric, FWIW, I thought it was a good story. How much of it was exaggerated is pointless, but I believe you can out-turn an SS with your mods, so you may rest easy knowing that I believe you. ;)

For the rest of you who have the little powdered wig and gavel, you may continue...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Maybe when you go home from the movies this weekend you will "kill a Zo6" too. They only make 370 rwhp, so I am sure with your chip and exhaust you should be able to stay in front of him.

Good luck:rolleyes:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Actually, this kill story I believe! If you read it, they never once launched straight from the lights, all the races involved a launch into an immediate turn. In that case, AWD would be a HUGE advantage, more than enough I would think to make up for the HP difference.

Does the Camaro come with LSD? If not, it is even more believable. Ouch, I can't imagine how hard it would be for a car with an open differential to launch while turning. Oh wait, I can! It is next to impossible to put any power to the ground.

In fact, the only straight race (which was a rolling 'race') ended up with the Camaro killing the WRX.

Nice story and well written.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I don't know, but my hubby owns a TA and we installed a Ram-Air hood along with the airbox on it. It takes the twisties without a problem, at fast speeds. Well, he's also done quite a bit of suspension work and he has a front strut tower brace. That really does make a difference. He used to get wheel hop when he'd take the turns quickly, now the car sticks to the road fairly well. I guess if it was a punk kid with a stock suspension, a WRX would have an advantage. After all, a big part of the total equation is the driver. Anyway, good kill.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't mean to bust your balls, but being a previous owner of a 485hp Saleen I know how fast American V8's are. But yet, I did sell my Saleen for a WRX.:D

·
Registered
416 Posts
HIGHBOOST said:
Actually, all SS Camaro's come with a Auburn Limited slip Differential.
Actually the Auburn limited slip differential is $899.00 option on Camaro's and Firehawk's. So there's a chance it didn't have the limited slip dif.

·
Registered
202 Posts
ericb49 said:
(why do I launch better turning than straight?) and leave him like nothing, almost like he isn't trying.
You said it best, AWD. It sounds more like you had him in the territory of the more agile WRX, SS's are cool, but can't cook going sideways, especially not out of the hole, theyd just do a doughnut.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WOW, those flames are hot!

I can tell whom READ the post and who SKIMMED the post, let me highlight…

ericb49 said:
I make my turn in 2nd at about 15 and punch it, he follows suit but I pull away until about 80 when he catches and passes me.
…I lost a rolling start…

ericb49 said:
Next light is a left, we are both in front of the two left turn lanes (looks like little Johhny driving Daddys car), light changes, I do a left hand launch (why do I launch better turning than straight?) and leave him like nothing, almost like he isn't trying.
…like he wasn’t even trying, and possibly an inexperienced driver…

ericb49 said:
Next light, the left to go up to my steet, I decide to have another go, this time straight. The light turns green before we get there, he takes off, I'm still in second with no chance of catching him.
…another loss from a rolling start…

ericb49 said:
[B The next two light are both lefts that put us back on the original street only in the opposite direction, both times I walk all over him. [/B]
…I figured I didn’t need to explain these last two runs, based on the previous left hand launch.

Now if you know your MODs you would know that the Vishnu Stg 0 is 220-225 @whp w/14lbs of boost. I have Stg 0 plus 3” Turbo back exhaust, basically a Vishnu Stg 1 minus the parts Vishnu is keeping secret, but @ 15.5lbs of boost. The Stg 1 is rated at 250-260 @whp, my testing w a G-tech consistently gives me 245-255 @whp with ¼ mile time at 13.5-14.5 depending on the launch with mph @ 99.1-101.3. The curb weight is 3085lbs.

The STOCK 2002 SS is rated at 325 @crank HP, with a drive train loss of 20%, hell lets say 15%, you get 276.25 @whp with a curb weight of 3433lbs.

Now lets compare, 276.25 minus 245 equals a 31hp difference. SS is 3433lbs plus 120lbs for each of the passengers equals 3673lbs. WRX is 3085lbs plus 300lbs for me and 140lbs for my passenger equals 3525lb. That’s 148lb disadvantage for the SS with a 31hp advantage. Now factor AWD launching…

I think the numbers I used give more of an advantage to the SS as I estimated the weight of the SS occupants and don’t know the actual drive train loss of the SS, plus I used my lowest hp number.

If anyone has any other questions/flames I’ll gladly reply again, and HIGHBOOST, sure I'll run with your friend, should be fun win or lose.

EB

·
Registered
5 Posts
The limited slip is standard on the SS and the WS6 Trans AM. They haven't made the "Firehawk" for a few years. Maybe you meant Firebird? Anyway, these cars are running low 13 second 1/4's stock from the factory. A stock SS or WS6 will kill a stock WRX from a stop, and rolling. But, throw in a launch on a turn and it could be a different story.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
People, please, before you start flaming READ the post completely. Then, right before you hit the "Submit Reply" button, READ the whole post again to see what was actually said. This sure would cut down on the flame wars... Why can't we all just get along?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your right, very well put.

Ericb how about this. Since you think you know so much about mods on a Subaru, how about mods on a LS1.

2000 Camaro SS
3600lb's
Lambeck racing LS1 Shortblock
Stock Heads stage 3 port job (flow 296cfm on the intake)
Cam spec's unkown

Now I now this wouldn't be a fair if it was heads up. I will give you 5 cars and the leave, and of course this is not for free.

Then when where done with that we can go around as many corners as you want.

Let me know if your up for the challenge.

BTW, I am not trying to flame anyone. I am just tired of hearing about people so called racing (For example- flying by a vette on the freeway and putting your hazards on and saying you raced and beat him).

Now its time to put your money where your mouth is. :D

1 - 20 of 68 Posts