ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I put my car on Eibachs with kyb agx struts. Now, i waited along time to let the springs settle, then went and got an alignment the other day. I wanted to set front camber to -.6 degrees, not too much. However, the most positive he could bring the specs to was -1.25 degrees, yes most positive. Why is this? He said to get them to the specs i wanted, or to factory specs, "slotting" the struts would be necessary. Whats the deal with this? I run yoko parada spec II, 215/40/18. I don't want to rip through my tires. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
metaxa07 said:
Hey guys, so I put my car on Eibachs with kyb agx struts. Now, i waited along time to let the springs settle, then went and got an alignment the other day. I wanted to set front camber to -.6 degrees, not too much. However, the most positive he could bring the specs to was -1.25 degrees, yes most positive. Why is this? He said to get them to the specs i wanted, or to factory specs, "slotting" the struts would be necessary. Whats the deal with this? I run yoko parada spec II, 215/40/18. I don't want to rip through my tires. Thanks.
lol, okay. We need to clear up a few things first before you do anything to your setup.

1. Factory Camber on the front wheels is -1.3, so anything more positive than that is going to be wrong, and although it may technically do something for your tire wear, I'm not sure it would be anything good.

2. what do you have your rear camber set to? Most people like -1 because it's best for handling in conjunction with the front -1.3 degrees, and won't wear tires too badly.

3. Where in god's name did you get the -.6 number!?

Even if you've heard from someone what to set your car up to, let me correct that when I say that -1.3 front, -.8 => -1 rear will be a very conservative setup, and should not destroy your tires.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have been running around with max neg camber in the front for about two months now and have not noticed any increased tire wear. This is also with about 3-4 autox's and about 2000 miles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so my rear camber is -1.0 degrees. I got the front alignment of -.6 degrees from reading around, searching. Stock is -.25 degrees, accroding to a print out i have, so i wanted a little more aggressive, hence -.6 I guess i was wrong, but if everything is ok then fine. But i do have a pull towards the right,a and took it back , but the alignmnet guy said that it was due to the tire, not the alignment in taht in many low profile tires, sometimes the steel belts are perfectly laid to eachother, thus causing a pull. Hope that helps and thanks for the info.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you want to know whether or not it is the tire swap the front two (even if the direction is wong) and see if it pulls the other way. If it does then you know it is the tire. If it doesn't, then it is either the crown of the road that is forcing you to the right or that alignment guy is full of ****.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
The oem spec for front camber is -0.25, -1.3 is the spec for the rear.

Still curious why you could only get to -1.25, did you possibly get GC8 struts? For a long time they were selling WRX folks RS struts (before they actually came out w/ WRX specific struts).

Folks going that route (GC struts) were getting an inordinbate amount of neg camber front/rear- although your rear #'s are OK. I'm having a hard time coming up w/ a theory on why -1.25 is the most positive they can go????

The up side -1.25 is a better front setting, than your -0.6, w/ 0 (or near 0) toe you won't see any undue tire wear and get a lot better grip in corners and at the same time dialing a little more understeer out as well.

Big Sky

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe they are WRX struts. Thanks for the info. When I have a chance, I will swap tires, but i dont konw when that will be. So Is my alignment good? Or should I be worries about it. I know -1.25 is a little aggressive, but my tires will still be ok, right? Can't afford to be constanly replacing them. Thanks

·
Registered
6,174 Posts

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Negative camber doesnt kill tires toe kills tires. There is no reason for you not to get max negative camber in the front with the camber bolts and just 0 out the toe. If you never take any hard turns the outside will wear slower but it wont cause the inside to wear significantly faster. But if you push it every now and then the tire wear will even out still wearing the outside faster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts