ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 WRX (stage4) w/ 130k miles. Timing belt has been done.

I'm leaving the country in a year so buying a new car seems silly but I need a reliable mode of transportation to and from work in the mean-time.

As it stands my car runs GREAT for the age. Aside from a slipping clutch and little burning of oil (both expected) the cars runs as well at 130k than it did at 60k.

I'd really like it if I could run this thing into the ground for a few more years. I remember several members here were nearing 200k a couple years ago with minimal issues.

I was thinking of going back to the td04 (less stress on motor). It's on the stock clutch which is starting to slip a bit. On stock spark plugs which will need changing. Breaks need a changing. Fluids (tranny and diff) will need a changing.

I am hoping if I do all of the above the car will run fine for a couple more years at least. It is feeling slower lately, and I am not sure why... I assume it's losing compression due to age but that's fine.

If I drop about $2k into random maintenance/upkeep is it reasonable to expect this car to go another 2-3 years or 50k miles without any major issues? My gut tells me this car is will make it through the apocolypse but wonder what you guys think. Kinda trying to avoid a $400/month payment on a new wrx/sti if it's not necessary.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool. Thanks. I was kinda hoping for some insight on my vehicle and upcoming expected maintenance. So far it looks like a clutch is gonna run $1k, brakes $700, spark plugs $150, and fluids $200. That's just over $2k and I want to make sure that's money well invested before I pour it into the car.... otherwise I could sell the car and keep the $2k and have a pretty decent downpayment on a new wrx or sti.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Well, you know the saying, its usually cheaper to fix an old car rather than buy a new one... in the long run.
But those numbers seem high to me. Unless you're paying someone to do everything 100%.
$1k for Clutch.... I can see that with genuine parts and such.
$700 Brakes? Seems high to me, I would just change the pads and be done with it.
$150 Spark plugs. no. On a bad day the stock Platinum plugs are ~$15. $60 for 4. I went for the cheaper PFR6G, no problems. Easy DIY.
$200 for fluids seem high too. $15/qt, tranny needs ~4, diff needs .8 quarts. Both easy DIYs.

A high estimate would be $1500.

Its up to you man, if you want a new car and can afford it. I say go for it.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, you know the saying, its usually cheaper to fix an old car rather than buy a new one... in the long run.
But those numbers seem high to me. Unless you're paying someone to do everything 100%.
$1k for Clutch.... I can see that with genuine parts and such.
$700 Brakes? Seems high to me, I would just change the pads and be done with it.
$150 Spark plugs. no. On a bad day the stock Platinum plugs are ~$15. $60 for 4. I went for the cheaper PFR6G, no problems. Easy DIY.
$200 for fluids seem high too. $15/qt, tranny needs ~4, diff needs .8 quarts. Both easy DIYs.

A high estimate would be $1500.

Its up to you man, if you want a new car and can afford it. I say go for it.
I did some more research and I think I can get it cheaper (as you stated) by making a few adjustments.

Clutch - $700. I'm going to go with the Exedy OEM style clutch for $200. Shop is charging $500 for install and flywheel resurfacing.
Brakes - $400. It was originally going to be more expensive because I was planning on a stoptech brake setup... decided there's no point in spending money like that I'm just going to go with a cheaper set of pads and rotors (but still decent performance) from Akebono (sp?).
Spark Plugs - $150. This could be done cheaper myself but I think I'd rather just pay the extra $60 to have the shop do it while it's in getting the clutch done.
Fluids - $120 and will DIY....er..... do it myself DIM?

This should bring it just under $1,500.

I just dropped it off for a professional interior detail. Also, ordering a short-shifter w/ bushing as I've read it's marginally better for the trans due to reduced leverage on the gears. Figure it's worth it for only $130.

Any other input? Thanks man!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Brakes are easy to DIY. IMHO you are getting ripped off on everything but the clutch.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
If you can do fluids, you can do brakes. Do those yourself for sure.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you have the time it is most cost efficent to do all but the clutch yourself. Spark plugs are a pain, and you will need to buy some tools if you dont have them (Spark plug socket, pivot head, 3 inch extension, 6 inch extension, 10mm socket, 12mm socket). Still with about an hour you can save some money and have more tools for the long run.

Fluids are ridiculously easy and you will get the choice on which fluids to put in the car. Just make sure you have a 1/2" breaker bar for the rear diff as the drain plug can be on extremely tight.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Yeah, those brakes still seem ridiculously high to me me =/
What brake set will you be using? Part numbers?
That and the fluids, like I said, Subaru extra-s is ~$15 online a quart. You'll need 5 total. Sooo about $60?

@Dramlin, did my spark plugs without a pivothead, at night. They aren't as hard as people make them out to me IMHO.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
^ ... and in snow wearing sandals, uphill both ways?!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Didn't want to brag.... but I was also defending former president Clinton from a horde of zombies. He'll deny it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
@Dramlin, did my spark plugs without a pivothead, at night. They aren't as hard as people make them out to me IMHO.
It was definitely hard the first time - at least that's what she said. Wait. What are we talking about again? Ah yes, you may not need a pivot if your socket wrench is thin enough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts