Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a puzzler for ya'all. My wife parks her Forester in the garage and at random times I walk by it and hear a buzzing/humming from under the car between the rear wheels. I am pretty sure it has to be the fuel pump running. But why? It'll just start doing it at any old random time for several minutes at a time. No key in car. Car cold. Car hot. I never hear the WRX doing this, just the Forester. 2015. 0 problems or other issues. Any ideas why it does this? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,595 Posts
First, make sure it's the pump. If it's the pump making noise, then the same noise should be apparent when the pump is definitely on -- since you may not hear it with the motor running, turn the key to the ON position and listen.

I suspect evap and/or other emissions stuff going on.

I should add I have a car that does something very similar, but it's only a 1991 model so I've not had a chance to look into it yet (read: I'm not worried... at all... it's been decades...).

·
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. Kinda figured it was normal, but wasn't 100% "sure" what it was. Also never would have thought evap. Does that mean it would be an air pump maintaining a pad pressure in the fuel tank? I am surprised I don't hear it in the wrx. Yeah sd-gr, I also probably would have never actually done anything about it either since car runs fine. Just one of those things that makes me go "hmmm?" Thanks all.

·
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops JaySin, just read your link and see the leak check thing. That explains it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts