ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, i need a hand.

I have a Gateway 600xl Notebook that I want to upgrade.
It has 512mb ram
2.6 pentium3
and 40gig hard drive.

(edit: all that info is off the top of my head since i am at work without it with me, so it may be slightly off)

I want to toss a radeon 9600 pro in it to speed up the gaming.
I also want to put a 80gig hard drive in it to giveme more capacity.

Is this possible in a gateway notebook? If so, where should I get the parts and how much will it be? thanks!

Any other suggestions about how to make it faster? It is fast, but needs to be faster.

-Brian

·
Registered
818 Posts
youre stuck with your video when it comes to notebooks, and as for a larger hdd, you could look around, but you may be better off going with an external hdd because i think an 80 gig internal notebook hdd is going to be very pricey

edit: some of the newest notebooks actually allow you to change the video chipset out like a normal desktop but i dont think gateway jumped on that bandwagon yet

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
If you're serious about playing games, put together a decent desktop system or plunk down a nice chunk of change for one of the newer notebooks from Dell/Alienware/Voodoo.

2.6Ghz Pentium 3?? Ya sure?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TheBoostCreep said:
If you're serious about playing games, put together a decent desktop system or plunk down a nice chunk of change for one of the newer notebooks from Dell/Alienware/Voodoo.
I have a gateway 710XL desktop with the new Nvidia GeForce card, 20 in flat panel, 3.4ghz Pentium4, 1024MB ram etc etc etc... for gaming, do not worry about me.

TheBoostCreep said:
2.6Ghz Pentium 3?? Ya sure?
sorry, i meant Pentium 4m

Does anyone know if i can swap vid cards on a 600YGR?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hipswnger2 said:
I have a gateway 710XL desktop with the new Nvidia GeForce card, 20 in flat panel, 3.4ghz Pentium4, 1024MB ram etc etc etc... for gaming, do not worry about me.

sorry, i meant Pentium 4m

Does anyone know if i can swap vid cards on a 600YGR?
You may be able to.
First, what video card is currently in the laptop?
Second, do you know what cards were available as options on that computer model? If the 9600 was available, then it is possible to replace the card with that. If not, you are probably out of luck.

Oh, and get a 5400 or 7200 RPM HDD. 4200 is way too slow.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is ummm... a 2002 Gateway 600YGR. it currently has a radeon 7500. I do not imagine that much better then the 7500 was offered in 02'

Edit: yes that is a notebook

·
Registered
882 Posts
Sorry, you are way outta luck with regards to the M9600. It won't be compatible with any board that old. Even if it were, the design is for older cards, so it wouldn't be able to dissapate the heat generated by the 9600.

You might be able to put in a Radeon Mobility 9000, but I'm not familiar enough with gateway laptops to help you there. I think you are probably stuck with your original card. Try more memory(if possible) and a faster hard drive.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So if i got... say an 80gb 5400rpmDD, would that speed me up a bit?

What else should I do?

·
Registered
882 Posts
It will help a bit for sure. You won`t have those long pauses with the hdd grinding away trying to keep up. A 7200 would help more, but they are pricey for laptops, and they kill your battery life. Unfortunately there isn`t much else you can do, though I am admittedly ignorant of your computer model. More memory???

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Sometimes you can upgrade the video card or other components depending on how the configuration is. Not that it takes a lot of know how, but I am guessing probably more then you have. As far as speed you can get fast drives for laptops but whats the point? They will just suck up battery life more. You best bet would be to max out ram, because if you are paging to the HDD you are running slow, doesn't matter what kind of drive you have.

Remember, a computer cannot run from a HDD directly, the processor cannot access a HDD. Everything must be moved onto memory first and then switched back and forth to cache from memory. HDDs have an effect in synthetic benchmarks but not so much in real world performance, more ram is your best bet, and of course it is always possible you could stuff a faster processor in there, but it is a laptop after all.

If for some reason you were obsessed with the fastest HDD speed you could get then I would recomend maxing out the ram and making a 600 or so meg ramdrive, install a game to there and have fun. Or maybe even a thumb drive and install to there, at least there would be no seek time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts