Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't done any mods yet, but yesterday's Sacramento Bee (7-22) had an article about cracking down on street racers by training CHP and police officers to spot car mods and giving the drivers tickets for "illegal alterations".

I don't street race but I would like to do some mods. The article mentions "fuel injection systems, their exhaust, their air intake, nitrous oxide" and goes on to say that "these modifications violate the state's strict emission standards".

Does this mean that any modifications to your engine violate some California law? The article implies that even if your car passes smog, you can still be ticketed for "illegal alterations".

It also quotes CHP officer Bill Wetzel in this oh-so-grand statement: "This sort of thing is done for only one thing - street racing."

I guess my desire to have a quick car for driving by myself on twisty roads in the Sierras is some sort of figment of my imagination; in reality I must be a street racer in denial.

I went to the California Air Resources Board and DMV websites but can find no guidance. (pretty crappy webistes, btw).

Any California experts out there?

·
Registered
35 Posts
yes , technically just about anything you do will violate some emmisions law if it relates to the enginge.inlucding some air intakes and any removal of a working catalytic converter...in maryland they are switching over from the treadmill test to a quicker test invoving hook up to the obd2 port..ie any change in hardware or software will likely show up unless you remove it and reset the computer....hard to do with an upipe after awhile!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts