Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need help! i wanna go there badly next year for the engineering program. but my SATs SUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!! does anyone here go there or does anyone know if its easy to transfer majors? cuz im thining of applying under agriculture just so that i can get in for sure.
BTW, you have to declare your major at cal poly

thanks

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I don't know anything about cal polytech, but I'd say go to school elsewhere and prove to yourself and your dream school that you can hack it in an engineering program. Engineering is not for everyone. It requires devotion and hard work. At Drexel, here on the east coast, only one in three from the freshman class graduates the program.

The co-op program at Drexel requires that you work in the field for a year and half and go to school in between for five years total. A wise professor told me that you are going to feel like quitting and doing something easier about half way through your education. It's then that you need to work even harder and plow through.

My paycheck, new WRX, 1GHz laptop, 550W home theater system, and a job I love are my reward for five years of hard work.

Prove yourself at another school. Retake your SAT after a Princeton Review SAT course and apply as a transfer. If you want it bad enough, you can do it!

-Jim

·
Registered
333 Posts
Jim, I gotta agree with you. Mario if you know what you want to do with your life, do it. It does not matter where you do it, if you try ahrd and are the best you can in the end you´ll get the job, paycheck, etc you wanted regardless where you study. As far getting to the point where you wanna quit, I´m in my 4th/7 year of medical school, one more year that it took to get into my university is gonna make it 8 years.... then i gotta start thinking of at least another 4 years for a residency to get my specialization... I wanna do two. Go figure.... Its just a matter of doing what you REALLY want, not where you study... (look at me I´m stuck here in Lima, Peru.... I wish I was in Johns Hopkins):D

·
Registered
218 Posts
hey i am going to san luis obispo right now. i am talking to you from here. thats kind of wierd i just got back from a party and i saw this post and it read cal poly san luis obispo and i was thinking did i write this, i dont think so.

well anyways as getting in to the college i was really suprised i made it in because my gpa was only like 3.4 and my sats where only a 1080. and i am under as an ME so far i have been having a lot of fun working on the fsae car, welding, machening, statics, dynamics, fluid dynamics all these classes are so interesting. iwould really recommend going to this school. i never thought school could be this fun. i never thought i would ever say that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
terrible one, what year are you?

did you apply under enineering? cuz i have a 3.7 cum gpa and a 1000 somethign SAT haha. i just took them again today.

i wanna go there but afraid i might not make the enineering program. is it easy to switch majors? and do you think if i applied under agricultre, on the registration day that id be able to switch it to engineering?

·
Registered
218 Posts
i am a first year.

yes i did go under engineering, mechanical.

my advise is not to go under agriculture and try and switch because to my knowledge its not easy. espically with two majors that are so different.

if i where you i would apply as a engineer what ever engineer major you want and if you dont get in you dont get in and go to a jc for two years take all your ge's get good grades and then transfer over to cal poly or to another school, davis has a very good engineering program too. and then take all your major courses and then graduate with a bs in engineering. i plan to take 5 years so i will be here a while. a friend of mine on fsae transfered from a jc to cal poly because thats what he wanted to do(be an engineer) so if you want to be an engnieer and you dont make it here i would recommend going to a jc and transfer. there acceptance rate is a lot higher for transfer students then beginnning students.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts