ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im currently running a k&n panel filter in my 02 wrx without the resonator (the air is being sucked from the guard) and the car runs good but sometimes i get abit of a slight stutter in acceleration and i know im running a little rich is it because the filter is a oiled filter i have heard that these filters arent good for wrx's, what im thinking of doing is buying a DRY apexi panel filter with a cold air duct running down to the bumper would this be better ps i dont go offroad.

please dont give me a lecture about tuning i know i need a tune thats probly my main reason why im running abit rich but im pretty sure it should help let me know what you guys think.

mods:
turbosmart mbc
3" turbo back blitz nur spec exhaust
k&n panel filter with reso removed
lightend fly wheel heavy duty clutch

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Well not to sound like a ****, but why do you have a MBC?

Start by cleaning your MAF sensor to make sure your A/F ratio scaling isn't out of whack, and cranking up the boost with you MBC without a tune will make you run lean (assuming its past 14.5psi). If you insist on getting a CAI, get an AEM with a tune to make sure your running safely and actually gaining power from your mods...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well not to sound like a ****, but why do you have a MBC?

Start by cleaning your MAF sensor to make sure your A/F ratio scaling isn't out of whack, and cranking up the boost with you MBC without a tune will make you run lean (assuming its past 14.5psi). If you insist on getting a CAI, get an AEM with a tune to make sure your running safely and actually gaining power from your mods...
i have just recently cleaned my maf and the mbc came with the car and i have not touched it since im not sure how much psi im running due to no boost gauge but i have orederd one and its on its way what do you think about my idea on the cai i realy dont wanna spend much on cai until i have the cash for a tune because were im from tune cost $1500

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
1. Rip out the MBC (it will do more harm then good)...

2. Your stock air intake will flow efficiently up to around 350ish WHP so your not being restricted by it...

3. You can get OTS maps for free via Romraider and purchase a Tactrix cable for $150, a protune wouldn't even exceed $500 in itself...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the mbc i think im going too keep but not touch

the intake is not stock + im asking the new design would be better

protune were im from starts from $1100 and ecutek is $1500 and i might do rom raider

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
All your doing is guessing/assuming what the problem is. Do you have something (wideband O2 gauge) to even verify your running rich? It could very well be a combination of all the mods or something else entirely. You could easilly just clean the K&N and either run it dry or use a very small amount of oil.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All your doing is guessing/assuming what the problem is. Do you have something (wideband O2 gauge) to even verify your running rich? It could very well be a combination of all the mods or something else entirely. You could easilly just clean the K&N and either run it dry or use a very small amount of oil.
i know its running rich because in 2nd gear when i go flat foot from 2000 rpm it blows abit of black smoke so i know its running rich i want to run the filter dry is it ok if i do??

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Well, I certainly would NOT, run a MBC without a BOOST GAUGE... Have you heard of FBPT... ? Having said that, I certainly DID run a MBC on my '02 WRX for years, without a tune/engine management and had absolutely no problems... But again, I DID have a BOOST GAUGE and I do, know how to "get away with", FBPT situations where you are probably having your "problem". Expect a major engine re-build in the future... READ up on FBPT and use your right foot and common sense as to max boost at certain throttle positions to control it once you get a boost gauge...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I certainly would NOT, run a MBC without a BOOST GAUGE... Have you heard of FBPT... ? Having said that, I certainly DID run a MBC on my '02 WRX for years, without a tune/engine management and had absolutely no problems... But again, I DID have a BOOST GAUGE and I do, know how to "get away with", FBPT situations where you are probably having your "problem". Expect a major engine re-build in the future... READ up on FBPT and use your right foot and common sense as to max boost at certain throttle positions to control it once you get a boost gauge...
like ive said previosly i am getting a BOOST GAUGE it is on its way i know its dumb to have a mbc without 1 BUT THE MBC CAME WITH THE CAR AND THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAD A BOOST GAUGE all i asked for was the cold air intake i dont wanna have lectures about mbc and tuning!! can someplease give me a straight answer on the cai quetion?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
like ive said previosly i am getting a BOOST GAUGE it is on its way i know its dumb to have a mbc without 1 BUT THE MBC CAME WITH THE CAR AND THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAD A BOOST GAUGE all i asked for was the cold air intake i dont wanna have lectures about mbc and tuning!! can someplease give me a straight answer on the cai quetion?
Fine, the CAI is the LEAST of you problems, I would NOT even drive the car without first getting a BOOST gauge and reading up on how to drive a car with a MBC and no EM... It's as simple as that... ;) And if you read my earlyer post I didn't say anything about "tuning" I was trying to tell you the things you NEED to know about driving a car with a MBC and no tune and how to get away with it...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fine, the CAI is the LEAST of you problems, I would NOT even drive the car without first getting a BOOST gauge and reading up on how to drive a car with a MBC and no EM... It's as simple as that... ;) And if you read my earlyer post I didn't say anything about "tuning" I was trying to tell you the things you NEED to know about driving a car with a MBC and no tune and how to get away with it...
i have no choice i have to drive my car like i said the mbc had a boost gauge before i bought it bt i am getting one i still want a cai

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If you HAVE to drive it then drive it like your grandma would drive it, read up on FBPT, get a boost gauge, practice controling the boost at part throttle with your right foot, once you get a boost gauge and can see what boost you have at what throttle you are using... Part throttle (less then 3/4) and more than 8 Psi of boost gets you the booby prize, and needing a rebuilt engine real quick... :eek3: The CAI is NOT important in this case as the MBC over rides EVERYTHING, your driving stile or engine management is what you need to get sorted out first... ;)

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
can someplease give me a straight answer on the cai quetion?
I already gave you a straight answer. How easy do you think diagnosing a vehcile accurately when almost no real data is given. Post up a data log and I will be glad to give you a more accurate answer. Or you can take the car to a professional to actually get looked at.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts