ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wiggles:I have a question about the differences between the Cold air Intake and the short Ram for the WRX and Sti. I live in Louisiana where it rains alot because we are right by the Mississippi river, I was wondwering does it make a difference in power to the throtle for the CIA or Short Ram and because of the weather, will I have a good repsonce or bad responce because of the conditons ?

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
Dub, if you have nothing constructive to say, then you shouldn't say anything. And posting a 'search' link is absolutely worthless.

I have a question about the differences between the Cold air Intake and the short Ram for the WRX and Sti. I live in Louisiana where it rains alot because we are right by the Mississippi river, I was wondwering does it make a difference in power to the throtle for the CIA or Short Ram and because of the weather, will I have a good repsonce or bad responce because of the conditons ?
The difference between a short-ram, and a CAI, is that the short-ram should be referred to, as a HAI, or hot-air intake. It's drawing the hot ambient air from the engine bay. and in the southern states, this is amplified by the hot days of summer. This can lease to detonation, loss in power, etc. The CAI has much less issue with the hot air, and allows the engine to take in the outside air, where it's much, much cooler.

The downside to the CAI, is the close proximity to the ground. In an area of common rainfall, this could pose catastrophic results, if you were to hit a deep puddle. It take far less time than you'd think, to completely fill the cylinders with water, if it were to become submerged.

however, this would need to be a pretty deep puddle, as the filter would be 8-10" off the ground. But it happens, and more often than people think.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
966 Posts
+2

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
no worries, and you are 100% right. It's quite easy to find, with a little searching, but still..

Cheers :)

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
The difference between a short-ram, and a CAI, is that the short-ram should be referred to, as a HAI, or hot-air intake. It's drawing the hot ambient air from the engine bay. and in the southern states, this is amplified by the hot days of summer. This can lease to detonation, loss in power, etc. The CAI has much less issue with the hot air, and allows the engine to take in the outside air, where it's much, much cooler.

The downside to the CAI, is the close proximity to the ground. In an area of common rainfall, this could pose catastrophic results, if you were to hit a deep puddle. It take far less time than you'd think, to completely fill the cylinders with water, if it were to become submerged.
But if your going to explain it.Explain it completely.There are more downsides to both SRI and CAI that is more significant than what you posted.The skewing of the MAF signal whether it's from an incorrect ID or turbulence from a poor design.My signature contains VERY informative info on reason to stick with the stock airbox unless you plan for custom tuning.FYI,people have make up to 500 chp on a moddified stock airbox/induction system (snorkus delete/velocity stack/high flow panel filter)

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
good point, as usual, donkey.

I wish I could still use my airbox :( It'd make my life easier.. Or I could spend 2000$ and make it easy :screwy:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just to add myu 2c.

Keep in mind that not ALL CAI's have a filter mounted close to the ground.

Some, like the APS CAI I think.....have the filter mouted just outside the hole where the stock intake has it's U-bend....or in other words...in the fender wheel behind the plastic fender cover.

It keeps the filter clear of moisture from low down on the ground, and offers a good CAI solution.

You can also mount a K&N Drycharger wrap on your filter if you're paranoid about moisture. It knocks off water droplets etc etc.....

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
good point, as usual, donkey.

I wish I could still use my airbox :( It'd make my life easier.. Or I could spend 2000$ and make it easy :screwy:
Yeah a FMIC does change things:)

·
Registered
0 Posts
yes the aps cai is by far the best imo... its right outside of the hole in the car and makes it less likely to suck up water imo

·
Registered
374 Posts
Read the link to cobbtuning and basically it states to keep the stock box. Now should I consider replacing the filter with a drop in one? I didn't see anywhere in the write up if its a good idea to replace it with a drop in filter by K&N or other mfr.

thanks

C.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts