Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunatley I've only learned about this site in the past day or so, which happens to be a week after putting in an injen CAI and exhuats w/ 3rd cat elim. It's come to my attention (rather quickly) that a CAI will do me no real good. Is this verdict the same with the unichip? The other kicker is that with this being my first car, I opted to go with the 100,00 mile warrenty. This makes me apprehensive about things such as up-pipes and boost controllers, etc. Is this CAI going to be bad news over time? I know the unichip can be programmed for this intake, but what else is one to do who's been suckered into the extended warrenty? Oh yeh, since this chip is plug and play, can it be removed before servicewithou leaving a trace or have a screwed myself already with the CAI? Sorry for the rambling, but I'm a newby to auto performance could use some guidance. Drop in and leave your take, even if it's to bust me up for going with the warrenty :confused: thanks

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
You have a period of time durign which you can return your warranty. You might want to check that out because extended warranties are a RIP OFF.

-Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
I put a AEM cai on my car, some people say it dosent help, and some say it does. Im know for sure i got some gain out of mine. I also have the stage 1 kit and you will notice big gains. Also, all dealers are out to make money, some get skrewed some dont.

·
Registered
166 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
You have a period of time durign which you can return your warranty. You might want to check that out because extended warranties are a RIP OFF.

-Jim
Yea, you have a period of time where you can get a refund on the extended warranty.

However, not all extended warranties are a rip off. Dealership-sold extended warranties, however, usually are.

You are not "screwed" with regards to the warranty, either. You should be able to remove everything that you have put on with no ill effects.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I don't think the Unichip is like the CAI in the sense some people say it helps others don't. Everyone who has put in a unichip says they get a power increase. I myself am getting one so I can have it tuned for my mods. I am also putting in a AEM Short Ram intake which most people agree is better for our cars then a CAI.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The warrenty is through subaru, so I may hold on to it.
What does the majority say a short ram's benifits are over a CAI?
Is the length of the pipe the biggest issue, besides the water factor? I have a feeling I should purchase a shroud to block direct impact from objects and debris. Does it make sense to shorten the length of the pipe?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Pickin up Turboxs Stage 1 chip todayHopefully i'll see some real gains. Guess I'll run with the CAI for now and look into an upipe

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:

-Jim
i agree, if you do the math, there is no way you will ever recoop the extra money spent without putting you in a lemon law situation.

dR

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well, I don't know about that... it depends on how comprehensive the warranty is.

For instance, I purchased a third-party 4 year/100k mile extended warranty for my wife's Honda Accord for about $800. This is a bumper-to-bumper (it lists the particular exclusions, and there aren't many) with $0 deductible. I think it wouldn't take much (like an engine or tranny failure) to recoup the expenses from that. I know it's a Honda, but that's just the big stuff...

However, I don't know how much the Subie warranty was. But SOA seems to be claiming so much crap as "driver induced" anyways... may not be worth the paper it's printed on...

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
redwag said:
The warrenty is through subaru, so I may hold on to it.
What does the majority say a short ram's benifits are over a CAI?
Is the length of the pipe the biggest issue, besides the water factor? I have a feeling I should purchase a shroud to block direct impact from objects and debris. Does it make sense to shorten the length of the pipe?
benefits of short ram

1)first and foremost, save $100 or even more.
2)the shorter and straigher the intake tract is, the more undisturbed flow your turbo will see. (so length and curvature or lack thereof)
3) no need to risk water lock from a CAI
4) easier mantneance and install.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
gryphon said:
Well, I don't know about that... it depends on how comprehensive the warranty is.

For instance, I purchased a third-party 4 year/100k mile extended warranty for my wife's Honda Accord for about $800. This is a bumper-to-bumper (it lists the particular exclusions, and there aren't many) with $0 deductible. I think it wouldn't take much (like an engine or tranny failure) to recoup the expenses from that. I know it's a Honda, but that's just the big stuff...

However, I don't know how much the Subie warranty was. But SOA seems to be claiming so much crap as "driver induced" anyways... may not be worth the paper it's printed on...
i was referring to a manufacuter extended warranty.

dR

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks, again, for maikg me wish I knew about this site before I bought the car. the 6yr/100,000 man. fact. extension with $0 deduct. sounds good for a first- time buyer. I went w/ six years because that how long I'll be paying this ride. Seeing how i've put 11K on in 4 months, maybe I should at least adjust it, if not dump it all together. I was hoping it would pay off incase later down the road I needed a new turbo, tranny, or something major. How are these cars rated at high milage? I've seen subies rollin with over 200k and still kickin'. Hope mine will do the same.

Will too many mods lessen the life of the car?

That other dude was right about SOA pushing blame to consumers. They don't want to have anything to do with even slight mods, not even their own upgrades in some cases, hence my apprension to go big with mods.

Are there any alternate steps I should take with this turboxs
stage 1? I know it's pretty week, but I've got to cover my ass because you know the day after the factory warrent runs out, I'm gonna wish I never dropped my other coverage

You guys rock for all your help and support.
Can't thank you enough

·
Registered
166 Posts
redwag said:
thanks, again, for maikg me wish I knew about this site before I bought the car. the 6yr/100,000 man. fact. extension with $0 deduct. sounds good for a first- time buyer. I went w/ six years because that how long I'll be paying this ride. Seeing how i've put 11K on in 4 months, maybe I should at least adjust it, if not dump it all together. I was hoping it would pay off incase later down the road I needed a new turbo, tranny, or something major. How are these cars rated at high milage? I've seen subies rollin with over 200k and still kickin'. Hope mine will do the same.
Well, most Subaru's are very reliable. However, most Subaru's aren't turbo'd. I don't know about 200K but I expect at least 100k out of mine.

Will too many mods lessen the life of the car?
Most mods on ANY car will lessen the life of that car.

That other dude was right about SOA pushing blame to consumers. They don't want to have anything to do with even slight mods, not even their own upgrades in some cases, hence my apprension to go big with mods.
Yes, hence the long-winded warranty exclusivity information for all the STi parts. :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts