Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,887 Posts
That's a tough one, dynamat works well if you want to tear out the interior and put it down. Outside of that, your at the mercy of the vehicle design.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
I removed the interior door panels and stuffed fiberglass in them. This made quite a difference. I also began stuffing fiberglass under all the plastic panels in the back of the car. I rode in the back seat when when my son was driving once and there is more noise coming into the cabin from the rear end than from the front. I plan to stuff more fiberglass underneath panels in the trunk and back seat.

I also hear the dynamat works well. I want to try some of it underneath the car. I am not sure it will hold up well to the elements down there but I may try it to see if it even works to deaden sound from the floor area.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,041 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I put FatMat in the doors while upgrading the speakers.
Don't have actual sound measurement data, but I feel it was worth the effort installing it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
#1 improvement I've done is placing foam adhesive on all contact points of the A-pillars. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

Edit 1: Here: A-Pillar Rattle / Crackling Fix [A MUST DO] - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

Cheap, easy, and you'll definitely hear a benefit. Like I said, I placed the foam on the plastic spline contact points too.

Edit 2: Maybe I missed the OP's question......Do you mean road noise? Or noises from the interior?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have been having this rattle by the windshield for the last year and its getting worse. This makes so much sense. I will try this when I get a chance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'd start reading here. There's only so much Dynamat and using just one product will do. You'll want to find out what you're trying to do as far as blocking low's, high's or all around. Low frequency is the hardest to block as they travel through thick objects. For vibration control Dynamat is popular but if we're talking exhaust noise and road noise that aren't high pitched you'll need to layer different materials. Even using an app with a frequency analyzer would help to get a decent picture of what you're dealing with.

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts