Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Nice find Tan....Perhaps this should be moved over to Tutorial?

·
Registered
106 Posts
quick question:

Is this that OPTIONAL micro-air filter you can buy or is this the standrad air filter. The dealer told me there is already one air filter in there. The optional micro air filter is a 2nd filter in series with this standard filter. Is that correct? :confused:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do I have a problem?

I bought a replacement air filter, followed the instructions on the above link (for my 2004, there were 9 screws, no 7), however, when I took off the filter cover, I was shocked to see no filter whatsoever!! :confused:
I have never touched this part of my car before and does this mean I haven't had any filter in there for the last 65k miles??

·
Super Moderator
24,468 Posts
Not unusual as I do not think they are factory installed, it is a dealer installed item. Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I mentioned the filter when I first bought my WRX new in 3/2004 - it was not factory installed then. My dealer was kind enough to install one for free and I have replaced them yearly since then.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks so much for the info. I did a bit of reading after posting and have realized this is the case, it's not factory installed.
After seeing pictures of dirty ones, I can't imagine what I've been breathing all these years!! Well I have one now, so I suppose I'm safe....

·
Registered
17 Posts
air filter

i just went to autozone and they informed me that my car (03 wrx) does not have one. i laughed and went to kroger and bought a air filter for my house, cut it into 4 nice squares and sprayed some cologne on one and put it in... perfect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recycle

Or you could just slide the lever over to the recycle mode and it won't suck in any air from the outside. You'll just keep breathing the air that is already in the car.

:rotfl:

·
Good news, everyone!
2,013 Posts
Or you could just slide the lever over to the recycle mode and it won't suck in any air from the outside. You'll just keep breathing the air that is already in the car.

:rotfl:
How insightful....idiot.

·
The Default One
2,386 Posts
i just went to autozone and they informed me that my car (03 wrx) does not have one. i laughed and went to kroger and bought a air filter for my house, cut it into 4 nice squares and sprayed some cologne on one and put it in... perfect.
I realize I'm quoting something from two years ago, but eh.

I tried the home air filter method in my current car, it doesn't work very well because the soft cotton they make the home filters out of degrade quickly when large peaces of debris hit them. Which is a common occurrence with automobile filters. The paper filters that should be used are much better, albeit more expensive.

All 02-07 Impreza's take the same filter weather it "came with one" or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guess I need to be more explicit in sharing the facts...

How insightful....idiot.
Really, I'm the idiot? I bet you drink bottled water and think you're spending your money wisely because it's "purer."
Top 6 Myths: About Bottled Water

Do you wear a filter over your face when you walk outside? If not, why do think you need to spend significant amounts of money to install and regularly replace the filter in your car?

Yes, if you intake unfiltered external air through the grill you will suck in some really nasty air that contains toxic gases and particles from the area just above the road where exhaust pipes spout. But if you set your system to recycle, you are breathing the very same air that came from out front of your own house when you got in the car. Also, opening your windows is shown to significantly improve air quality because the highest concentration of toxic gases is right at exhaust pipe height, which is unfortunately nearly the same as intake grill height.

Finally, these filters effectively remove particles, but they are unable to do anything about the toxic pollutant gases which are very harmful. It is a false sense of security to waste your money on filters.

For certain individuals with medical conditions that make them highly sensitive to irritant particles, a HEPA filter used in conjunction with the recycle option on the system is your best bet. But for normal individuals, you might as well burn your money.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hepa Filter?

Anyone know where I can get a "Hepa" cabin filter for a 09 WRX? I called my stealership and they said they have a carbon filter that works as good as a Hepa filter for $40. Not sure if he's blowing smoke or what. I've been doing some searching online and haven't had any luck finding a Hepa filter. I have really bad allergies and the stocker isn't quite enough.

·
Registered
446 Posts
... at http://www.airfilterusa.com. You can "build your own" Astrosorb carbon air filter with their online tool. My '05 WRX cabin air filter is 8.25 X 7.25 X 1.1875 in.; your filter size may be different. AirFilterUSA will sell you six custom carbon filters for $124.15 with free shipping. That might do you for a year or two.
Wow! That's awesome! I can use some of there stuff in my house as well. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I removed the filter from my 2009 WRX. I didn’t expect it to be so dirty with only 15,000 miles.

First I blew all the dirt and debris out.

Then I took it to the bath tub and sprayed bleach on it and let it set.

After 5 minutes I washed all the junk out. Then I took a really small flat head screw driver and lightly scraped the remaining junk out and repeated the bleach process.

It now looks new.

I believe it was made to be washed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts