Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
This may also be an appropriate place to mention that the "Air Filtration System" they offer as an option is nothing more than the inclusion of this filter. The "system" is already in place on the base model. I added in the filter myself (also bought it from subaruparts.com). Very simple, took about 20 minutes. If you're at all mechanically inclined, don't pay the huge fees to get somebody else to do it.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
whiteWRXwagon said:
Thanks for the info. The Subaru dealership wanted $122 to replace it.

Axel
Holy crap what a rip off. That's why I hate dealers.

Mechanically inclined? Heck, if you can operate a screwdriver you can do this one!

C

·
Registered
37 Posts
GV27 said:

Mechanically inclined? Heck, if you can operate a screwdriver you can do this one!
I know a few people who'd have some trouble with that, that's why I said it the way I did.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, I just replaced mine. It wasn't too bad, but the instructions were not very accurate. I had to remove two additional screws not mentioned in the instructions. The drawing isn't the same as the set up in my car. I also needed to disconnect a wire to get to the filter.

Is there a way to easily take the wire off the glove box? I just let mine dangle, but I was worried that it could damage the wire.

So if it is already in the base car without the filter, then I could just take mine out without any problem? I didn't request the option. It was on a car with the features I wanted.

I do have seasonal allergies, but I tend to run with the windows down during the warm months so I don't know if it's worth the trouble or expense.

Axel

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have replaced my $32 filter with a cut-to-size furnace filter. One of those expensive "electrostatic" washable ones for ~$10 & is big enough to make maybe 10 or more of these filters for the WRX.

Taking things down is a PITA ... it is very aukward to contort oneself (6' @ ~200#) to get to the screws. Wish I coud find thumb screw equivalents for the screws that are involved.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
whiteWRXwagon said:
I do have seasonal allergies, but I tend to run with the windows down during the warm months so I don't know if it's worth the trouble or expense.

Axel

I'm thinking of trying out the Sharper Image air purifier for the car ($40 plugs into the cig lighter), which works the same was their $400 ones, Quadra II model.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Ok,,i bought this filter and it is laying in my room..
does the car comes from the factory when its new with a filter??
is the filter space free??
No filter??
Why replace the OEM that comes(if it does)with this one?
Thanks
TUca

·
Registered
563 Posts
They don't come from the factory unless you paid for it. I opened up the cover where the filter goes, and its empty...you can look right into the blower motor. I guess the only reason to replace the OEM filter (if you car has one) is when it gets dirty.

·
Registered
401 Posts
hey psistar..u said u made a one from the electrostatic filters for the your house..what r the dimensions...if u can make one and its the same it would save the 40 dollars to buy and have it shipped from subaru.com..let me know...
thanx,
weapon

·
Registered
401 Posts
questions about the filtration system??

does anyone know the dimensions of the air filtration filter??..and is it true that u dont need to buy anything from the dealer..i did not have the air filtration system added by dealer..but can the filter be put in at anytime..no special adaptor needed??
any info will be helpful..thanx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: questions about the filtration system??

Weapon wrX said:
does anyone know the dimensions of the air filtration filter??..and is it true that u dont need to buy anything from the dealer..i did not have the air filtration system added by dealer..but can the filter be put in at anytime..no special adaptor needed??
any info will be helpful..thanx
8 1/4" x 7 1/4" x 1 1/8" pleated paper filter like you can buy in larger sizes at hardware stores. Dimensions are not critical as it fits loosely into the filter box. Nothing to buy from the dealer, the filter box is already there you just need to put a filter in it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I am just looking to my OEM filter here and here goes the dimensions of the OEM..
21 centimetersX 18.5 centimetersX 3 centimeters .
hope this helps
Tuca:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts