Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably going to sell my 2002 WRX that is decently modded (see signature below for details). I kept all the original parts (turbo too) that would go along with the car. I even have the OEM tires/wheels that are new.

However, I'm not sure what the best approach is with regard to smogging. As you may know, in California you need to smog a vehicle when it is sold. Either the seller can do it for the buyer, or the buyer can do it.

I figure:

1) The buyer can smog it himself; or
2) I can pay to have everything put back to normal (not sure how that would work as the computer has been reflashed with Ecutek software); or
3) I may be able to find a "helpful" (wink, wink) smog place

Also, any guesses to what I can get for my car? It's in showroom condition without a single ding or scratch, and is garaged both at work and at home. Never raced at a track, or on the street (not even once -- for some reason, no one ever challenges me). 13,000 miles. Any reasonable offers?

Would deeply appreciate some good advice. Thanks.

Darin

·
Registered
691 Posts
hmm, if you ever decide to part everything off, I will buy your wheels :D

edit: and your speakers ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you want to get the most money out of the car, rip all the parts out, return it to stock and sell all the stuff seperately.

If you want the transaction done soon and easily, sell it with all the stuff installed, but advise the buyer that it won't pass smog. I don't know about CA, but I'm pretty sure (federal law even) that it's not legal to sell a car for road use that won't pass smog.

You will either have the buyer coming back or worse the cops. So make sure they know, or better yet swap the exhaust for stock parts and get it smogged before you sell it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Phast -- I think you're right that it's best to rip all the parts out. I'm not sure how much I want to hassle with it, however.

You may be right about it being illegal to sell a "smog illegal" car in California. I'll check into that but I think it might be ok to do, except that the buyer won't be able to register it in their name without a smog certificate.

I'll talk to my dealer about it and see how much it'd cost to put things back to "normal". Thanks for the good advice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
DTsRex said:
As you may know, in California you need to smog a vehicle when it is sold. Either the seller can do it for the buyer, or the buyer can do it.
I just sold an old CRX about 6 months ago (in CA) and I didn't have to smog it.

Are you sure about your info???

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ya...when a car is sold, i THINK its the sellers job to smog it, BUT don't quote me on that. I purchased my wrx used and the previous owner didn't smog it, so i had to. Thas the biggest hassle of Cali :mad:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Someone has to smog it; either you or him.

Best bet would be to have the parts taken off and sell them. You can't get what their worth when you sell them on the car. You may have less interest in the car, as some people don't want to buy a modded car = beat car.

You are going to get the most money back from your mods if you part them out. It will be a hassle to sell them, but think of it as a part-time job.

Why can't you take them off yourself? Who put them on?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I guess selling it out of state would be an option.

The dealership put on all the parts. I'd much prefer to have them do it than me, despite the cost.

In California, you definitely have to have a car smogged before the new owner can register it. Usually this is the seller's responsibility, but I'm not certain it's required by law that the seller smog it when selling. As implied by Meisnerboy, above, I think California simply requires it to be smogged before it can be registered in anyone else's name. I don't think the state cares who does it.

I thought maybe because I bought the car 14 months ago it would be exempt from smogging because it's basically new. Nope, not when selling it.

I'm going to call the dealership today and see how much they think it would cost to put all the original equipment back on. The thing that concerns me is that my computer has the Ecutek reflash and would need to be reflashed again, which I'm sure will be about $100. Also, I have STi injectors. I don't know if these would have to be taken off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
From the ca dmv site:

When a car is sold, who is responsible for the inspection?

"The seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer. Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.

The inspection is not required on a transfer if a biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification). "

But, enforcement is slim to none. If you decide you don't want to smog it and leave it up to your buyer, he or she would probably have a tough time "making you". :) If I were in your shoes, though, I would definitely bring it back to stock in case your buyer decides to try and get you in trouble. Get it done, get it over with, and forget about it. My 2c

~Chris
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just spoke with my dealership and was told that most people with modified WRXs get "help" from a friendly smog check place. No surprise there.

I would imagine I'm probably looking at about $500 to put it back to stock. I would probably need to leave the larger fuel injectors and pump on. Then, I'd need to get my computer reflashed which would be about $100 alone.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
just sell the car "as is" and the smog problem is not yours to deal with. just make sure you put the terms of the sale (i.e. "as is") on the reciept.

as for passing smog. I've been told that a well-tuned and maintained WRX will pass smog with no cats. the only thing you have to worry about is the visual inspection. of course the more you mod, the less likely you are to pass...the head mechanic at "a Subaru dealer that will remain nameless" told me that all you really have to do is put the OE exhaust cat in so the inspector can see it. they'll have no clue about the uppipe and downpipe most of the time. of course this is with with the OE turbo.

i just had flanges installed in my exhaust and kept the oe cat so i can just pop it in for inspections when the time comes.

don't take this the wrong way...i'm not encouraging anyone to break the law or even to skirt it....this is "for off-road use only" *cough*

·
Registered
14 Posts
assumptions assumptions

Sorry guys but I'm trained as a scientist, I need data, not guesses. How do you KNOW the car won't pass smog until you test it?

My advic is to go down to a shop and fork over the $35 for a test. All this anxiety may be for naught. If it does not pass, then hone in on the key potential trouble makers, and change them back to stock.

Just for grins, I'm taking my car in to have it tested since I just installed a gutted up-pipe. I also have the Turbo XS chip in my 2002 wagon, so I want to see if the remaining two cats are sufficient. I live in a county that meets the state ozone standard so we do not have the mandatory biannual tests like other parts of the smoggy state.

FWIW I have worked in air pollution control since 1976, and I can tell you that smog is bad for children, athletes, old people, farmers, etc. I want to have a fast car, but responsibly - I'm a grown up after all.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
ok how about this:

the mechanic at Subaru (and many people on here will agree) that the 2 pre-cats are there to really only work for the first 45 or so seconds after you start your cold motor while the main cat warms up. Its part of the ULEV bullsh!t. So really you got two cats sitting there eating about 50 HP between then to remove about as much pollution from the air as an average sized fart. The way the motor is designed (something about how the air swirls around the cylinders and these little vortex-generating pins that drop into place when your motor is cold) it will pass smog with no cats. In fact, if you take a new WRX off the showroom floor, remove all the cats and take it to a smog station it will pass the tail-pipe test. Of course the one you'll be smogging is 4 years old ( think you're exempt for 4 years), so it realy depends on how well its been maintained all that time.

the only thing you really have to worry about is not passing the visual inspection. on the one hand there's no dyno test so the inspector may look closer than otherwise....but on the other hand, a smog inspector isn't going to be up on every pipe and every hose in every car that gets smogged there....he'll be able to tell if you got vaccum hoses missing and stuff, but will they be able to tell an OE uppipe from an aftermarket one? most likely not.

the amount of smog we're talking about here is so small you probably create more of an environmental hazzard when you manufacture those damn cats cats than you do by removing them and driving around.

cats on "new" cars are only needed when they're NOT working properly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I may just end-up turning the car back to stock, trade it in at the Infiniti dealer, and sell the aftermarket parts separately.

The resale value of the WRX is not good, so it might make more sense to trade it at the dealer. I'm thinking of getting a G35 coupe which I thinking are pretty much going for MSRP, so maybe they'll give me a bit better trade in on the WRX.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
those are nice...I'm thinking of doing the same thing....they're nice looking cars...maybe not quite as fast, but VERY VERY nice.

·
Registered
369 Posts
As noted in a recent issue of Sport Compact Car, the CARB emissions test is kinda messed up. Even if you do pass the tailpipe emissions test, if your aftermarket parts on the car do not have a CARB number on them, a straight-ace smog inspector will fail you. It's a big problem with the California aftermarket industry because it takes way too much time and money to get a performance part CARB approved. Maybe their next governor will fix it?

You're on the right track returning the car to stock and trading it. I'm sure you'll get fair prices on your takeoffs here on the board, or take it all to Ebay.

I was considering a G35 sedan, but I decided that I was too young for that car. My previous car was a Maxima, and I felt like I was driving "mom's car" all over the place. Anyway, the G35 is sweet. Good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I actually went to an Infiniti dealership today and test drove the G35. Not surprisingly, I have mixed feelings. The car looks awesome, interior is really nice with tons of gadgets, DVD navigation, etc. It had terrific acceleration too, but not as good as my WRX. The handling wasn't as good either. Not really a fair comparison though, as not many cars can outdo a moded WRX in those categories.

Then, I went home, picked up my brother and went to a nearby Honda dealership as my brother is thinking about upgrading to a V6 Accord (he has the 4 cylinder model).

So I'm talking with a salesperson while looking at a V6 coupe that costs $34,000 ($26,250+$7,000 of factory installed extras, like graphite :rolleyes: ), and he asks what I drive. I tell him and then he asks for my phone number and says he's in the market for a car like mine and will talk with his credit union. He thought $23,000 was a terrific deal for my car. I fogot to tell him about the $2,000+ stereo system. I guess that'll just be a surprise. Now I just need to figure out if I really want to sell.

Mod list: VF35, Ecutek reflash, PDE uppipe, MRT exhaust, unorthodox underdrive pulley, STi injectors, Walbro fuel pump, silver OEM side spoiler, 17" SSR Competition Wheels with Bridgestone Pole Position S03 tires, Alpine CD player, MB Quart speakers front and rear, Rockford Fosgate 5 channel amp, 10" JL sub.

·
Registered
14 Posts
duuuude

I re-read you list of mods. Your car is the bomb right now. I would chew off my left arm to be driving a rig so sweet. You motha must have shpoilt you that you wanna sell it...

I'd hate to be you!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, I agree my car is pretty damn nice.

I'm not really spoiled, just going through the car "A", car "B", car "C" cycle. Now I'd like to try something more luxurious that has good power.

I assume you're just joking, but FWIW my parents did not spoil me. Never got a car or anything expensive growing up. When I went to UCLA they didn't even ask how I would pay for it. They assumed I was 17 and could take care of myself, so why should they. I guess they were right, as I always made good money in college.

I'm just lucky enough to have a good job that allows me to buy nice cars. It's tough being me.:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts