Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I've read a bunch of stuff on here that suggests that just taking out the resonator and letting the car get air from inside the fender actually REDUCES power, and I'm also skeptical about CAI's. Maybe its because I've seen a lot of people post that they "feel" a difference, but there hasn't really been much in the way of actual dyno results. Also, I wouldn't really trust the dyno results since you're just adding a load to the car while its standing still, while the stock intake looks like you might get some "ram-air" effect while its moving. So even though a dyno might show you a 2-3 hp gain over stock, its only applicable as long as you're not moving and forcing air through the intake at 60 or so mph (unless you have a dyno in a wind tunnel).

ANYWAY, that being said, how about taking out the resonator and re-connecting the stock intake pipe directly to the air box??? Is there a way to do this. Seems like you could get some nice engine sound without losing any power/airflow. Of coruse taking out that resistence MIGHT get you some more power but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Seems like there should be a way to just replace the resonator with a smooth pipe, without even having to disconnect the the whole intake system from the fender...you could just run the pipe inside the fender where the resonator was.

anyone try this? does this even sound like a sane (and less expensive) idea?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yeah, I also read in several posts that taking out the resonator makes the stock BOV sound louder....not annoyingly loud, but definately noticable.

true?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
blarg,

I'm working on a prototype to do just what you said. I DO dyno test in a wind tunnel, it's called Atco Raceway in Atco, NJ.

-Jim

blarg said:
ok, I've read a bunch of stuff on here that suggests that just taking out the resonator and letting the car get air from inside the fender actually REDUCES power, and I'm also skeptical about CAI's. Maybe its because I've seen a lot of people post that they "feel" a difference, but there hasn't really been much in the way of actual dyno results. Also, I wouldn't really trust the dyno results since you're just adding a load to the car while its standing still, while the stock intake looks like you might get some "ram-air" effect while its moving. So even though a dyno might show you a 2-3 hp gain over stock, its only applicable as long as you're not moving and forcing air through the intake at 60 or so mph (unless you have a dyno in a wind tunnel).

ANYWAY, that being said, how about taking out the resonator and re-connecting the stock intake pipe directly to the air box??? Is there a way to do this. Seems like you could get some nice engine sound without losing any power/airflow. Of coruse taking out that resistence MIGHT get you some more power but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Seems like there should be a way to just replace the resonator with a smooth pipe, without even having to disconnect the the whole intake system from the fender...you could just run the pipe inside the fender where the resonator was.

anyone try this? does this even sound like a sane (and less expensive) idea?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i'd be mighty interested to know how it works...and as far as I'm concerened, if it doesn't LOSE any power, it works :)

I wonder if Home Depot sells the right diameter hose...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Try this... Remove the resonator section from scoop to airbox. Cut off the resonator and then patch the hole (duct tape might suffice or get creative and mold a new piece out of plastic). Put it back in.

I cut off the resonator off on mine and put the upper half back in place. Now I can get air from the scoop and from the fender well. I can't hear the stock BOV unless I am driving with the windows down, but a buddy was driving next to me and he said he could hear it clear as day.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm....I'll have to call the dealer and ask how much a resonator costs....I'd be a lot bolder with my experimentation if I knew I had a spare to replace it with...as for duct tape....i dunno....think I might try sticking another piece of plastic to it (maybe even a piece of the cut-off resonator if there's a chunk big enough.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
blarg, let me save you some trouble. :D

Jim, thank you for contacting us here at Liberty Subaru. Here are your prices and part numbers:

2.5RS:
Top half of air filter box:
16520AA032 List price $98.14/Your price $73.61
Bottom half of air filter box:
16520AA041 List price $108.58/Your Price $81.44
Intake plumbing (resonance chambers):
46032AC070 (pipe) List price $34.40/Your price $25.80
46021AC130 (chamber) List price $61.40/Your price $46.05
Small intake scoop:
46012FE020 List price $16.33/Your price $12.25

WRX:
Intake scoop (or "funnel" from under the hood)
46012AE100 List price $27.77/Your price $20.83
Resonator Chamber (box from inside the fender)
46040FE000 List price $57.20/Your price $42.90
Bottom half of air filter box
46051AE000 List price $96.37/Your price $72.28
Top half of air filter box
46052FE000 List price $88.22/Your price $66.17

If you would like to place an order you can call us at 1-888-782-9493 Monday
thru Friday 7:30 am to 6:00 pm eastern time.
Thank you
Jason Guy
Parts Dept

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Why don't you just spend $80 and pick up a WRXfx intake. You can take the silencer out all together without cutting it and replace it with a velocity stack that runs from the fender into the stock air box. You also take out the snorkel that runs to the front of the engine and seal of the hole in the fender with the cap that comes with the kit. That seals off the fender from the warm engine compartment air. So all the air being sucked up by the air box is cool (if its not a hot day) fender air. Later on, if you want to put the silencer back, just take out the velocity stack and fender cap and your back in business. The other way of cutting up the resonator box is crude. And once you start cutting it up, your scr e w ed.

Here is all the information you need to know about the WRXfx intake. Mine is coming in the mail. As soon as I install mine I will let you know what I Think.
Follow this link:

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...&perpage=25&highlight=group buys&pagenumber=1

Good Luck,
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmm....that might not be a bad idea either. Maybe I'll wait a bit and see what people are saying about it (no reviews on subarureview.com yet), and I haven't been able to find ANY information or pictures of this intake anywhere.

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
blarg

Give me your email address and I will send you an Email with a zip file that the manufacturer of this intake sent me. The pictures aren't too good, but it will essentially give you an idea of how it works.
Kurlee Daddee

you can pm me later. I will be on here around 4 pm pacific time.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok before I say anything else I just want to make clear that i'm not trying to blast anyone's products, I"m just trying to understand how they actually work, and IF they work. Guess I'm one of those skeptical people that need to be convinced, and remember this is just something "*I'm* trying to do...doesn't mean everyone else is wrong, I'm just trying a different approach.

I just re-read the wrxfx post again and realized that the intake does exactly what I'm trying to avoid: remove the ram-air scoop over the grille.

Although I'm sure that if the car is not moving because its on a dyno you get colder air from the fender I still think that at any resonable speed the effect of air running into the intake scoop produces more airflow than if the engine had to suck air from the fender...and plenty of slightly warmer air is better than less cooler air. I also remember reading an article a while ago that you're basically trading off slightly cooler air for lower airflow. Yes, the K&N filter can allow more air through, but the loss of the air scoop (if its well designed which in this case it is) reduces the amount of air that actually gets to the filter. The loss of air volume usually outweighs the improvement from colder air. Besides you have an intercooler, and the STi makes 287 HP with the same intake scoop and resonator I think.

So really, I'm not looking for something that will get me colder air, I'm just looking for a way to get MORE air, and even though CAI's can handle more air than the stock intake I'm not sure that there is more air available when they're set up the way they are.

ok..i'll stop babbling now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.