Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I was drving my WRX down the free way (stock at that time). And along besides my comes a red trans-am. I didn't notice it but my friend pointed out that it was actually a firehawk. Well i'm totally aware of the power of these new trans ams so I didn't expect to win but then I didn't expect to totally get left behind either.

To tell you the truth it was actually pretty anticlimactic. I got up beside him while we were doing about 80 and we both punched it and he just smoothly moved along ahead of me with no problem. It all sucked untill about 6 car lengths behind i noticed his license plate. Nothing but a single three letter word "BYE". For some reason this just made my night a little better. I had been a victim of this bad ass firehawk that's roaming around somewhere in Jackson Mississippi. I know he had something done to him. The only other time I've been left like that was when I raced this kid's 600 hp Supra TT.

Since then I've added a injen Cold air intake, M2 turbo back exhauast and up-pipe, and I had a unichip installed and tuned at cobbtuning. I'm hoping I'll do a little better against the next firehawk. what do yall think?

·
Registered
228 Posts
hehe cool... I raced this Physcho driver on my way home from cleveland the other day... V6 mustangs are weak needless to say....

But you KNOW your cool, when you can keep up with a car that costs more, is an Actual Sports car, and is a biggy V8... And a firehawk too... I almost bought a 99'Hawk for 17K with 12K miles... but 18yrs old and insurance DO NOT mix!!!

But from what ive been reading about all of these performance mods, and 1/4 times and such... you might have a LOT better chance of not letting him walk on by you next time... Have fun!

·
Registered
932 Posts
I beg to disagree. The Firehawk has a 5.7 liter V-8 that produces 305 hp and335 lbs/ft torque. Unless you have an upgraded, bigger turbo with larger intercooler, that Firehawk will still walk away and wag that "Bye" tag on its ass at you when you try to race it from 60 mph or over on the highway.

But why would you let that bother you? That's practically the ONLY thing the Firehawk can do. With your upgrades, you'd probably beat it in the 1/4 mile. Even without upgrades, you'd be reading his blubbering "Bye" from his front plate after a few quick turns. With just the slightest adverse weather, that Firehawk would be sliding around turns and twists like a barnyard chicken trying to run from a pitbull.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my car, but I know one of its few shortcomings performance wise is gaining speed on the highway. It's very hard to overcome the displacement factor. Those V-8 sports sedans costing over $45,000 are very good at this: MB E430, Lexus G430, BMW 540, and that's without even getting to the specially tuned ones.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The 2000 Firehawk has 335 HP.... I seriously think that for 5.7 liters thats pretty so so.... 108 extra HP for a 3.7 L difference in displacement with the WRX is pretty funny.

Though bedabi is right about top end speed and displacement.... I wonder how much the 2.2 and 2.5 displacement kits will do for a well modded WRX as far as top end?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Those V-8 powered cars gather speed quickly once they overcome their tremendous weight and get breathing well. Firehawks have ram-air and fairly decent aerodynamics which come into play at higher speed. My WRX seems to go from 80-120 well. I tested it last night when some silly ricer in a loud ass Honda thought he could catch me on the highway. Let's just say, he didn't. I passed him about 80-85 and maintained speed. As soon as I saw him gaining, I downshifted to fourth and made his bright headlights two small specks on the horizon in my rear view.

I don't think I'd mess with any Ramair Z-28 or Trans Am at speed. With all of my mods, we'll see if I can give them a run for their money tomorrow at the track! Next stop, silicone intercooler hoses.

-Jim

·
Registered
679 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
With all of my mods, we'll see if I can give them a run for their money tomorrow at the track!
what mods? :rolleyes:
Seriously though, with a better launch you should see 13's. Then again, I've noticed from experience, that some WRX seem to run stronger than others. in two instances I've meet WRX's with I, Turboback, Unichip, and misc (BOV, etc) and both times I either run faster than them, or the same with the same mph in the 1/4. Wierd. Launch is part of it, but sometimes I think it's the break-in (ecu). I dunno. That alone makes me reluctant to buy a turbo-back or Chip. (I will eventually).

My mods are going to be backwards:
BC->Turbo upgrade (medium sized, 18T/Vf23)->DP and custom Ex->Maaaybe Unichip->suspension

1 - 6 of 6 Posts