Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: Well i diagnosed with my mechanic my pinging noises...turns out we figured it out right away...it wasnt detonation...my turbo is toast! I havnt gotten it off yet, but i must have sucked up something or my machanic said the bearing may have went...either way the noise is the propellers all bent and broken and rubbing. Its horrible. So i removed my boost controller completely and it now sits at the dealer hopefully for a new turbo. If they dont cover it under warranty...than ill throw a bigger one on, but right now i rather get it through warranty. I cant exactly shell out a grand right now for a new one. (i just got engaged and am ring broke)
O well that sucks, just my luck!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Man that does suck... How much boost were you running?

I hope they will cover it under warrantee for you, the turbo couldn't have had many miles on it...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4669 miles and stock boost...i only put my boost up wen i wanted to mess with faster cars like 911's and my friends cobra...most times i run pretty close to stock...so its all yet a mystery, well until tomorrow wen i find out exactly and for sure.:confused:

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
952 Posts
ouch...keep posting about this. I am very curious to see what Subaru says about this. Make sure that you take off the MBC or else they'll totally lay the blame for blowing the turbo on you for overboosting.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Were you running a MBC with out a boost gauge? If so consider yourself lucky you didn't blow anything else besides the turbo, like the engine. If you did have a boost gauge what levels were you boosting?

·
Registered
115 Posts
rayn4eleven said:
4669 miles and stock boost...i only put my boost up wen i wanted to mess with faster cars like 911's and my friends cobra...most times i run pretty close to stock...so its all yet a mystery, well until tomorrow wen i find out exactly and for sure.:confused:
i notice he hasn't mentioned the level of boost yet. this could get scary. only wanting to jack it up when the situation calls for it, and maybe not knowing what you're jacking it up to? *chills*

·
Registered
77 Posts
Time for some bigger snail..:D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rayn4eleven said:
Ill quote myself, haha...stock boost...around 14.5 thats y its strange. When i wanted to boost up i'd go to about 16.5 maybe 17. But i havnt done that in atleast a month. THats y this is all strange to me. I was running 14.5 and not even beating on it lately. Im very confused myself...but ill b hearing from the dealer today...and yes the bc is off. Its HKS's evc digital BC and yes i also have a boost gauge.
ryan:(

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SCREW YOU they pretty much say. My bearing went on my turbo...and get this, the best part...they're blaming my BOV. The HKS SSQ bov. Its retarded...they wont replace my turbo due to that. So i'm screwed, now i have to flatbed my car back out of the dealer to another shop and buy a new turbo and put that in. This sucks...and the worse part is...i havnt been given any explanation to how the turbo has went. Subaru can really suck sometimes...i mean come on, hows the bov gona hurt...it relieves preasure, not causes...its supposed to help in the long run of the turbo...not cut off 10's of thousands of miles of life of it. :mad:
so...:rolleyes: anyadvice to which turbo to go to now? I want a similar but more powerful turbo...silmilar lack of lag, and similar top end strength. o and somewhat inexpensive...yet not crap!
ryan

·
Registered
35 Posts
rayn4eleven said:
SCREW YOU they pretty much say. My bearing went on my turbo...and get this, the best part...they're blaming my BOV. The HKS SSQ bov. Its retarded...they wont replace my turbo due to that. So i'm screwed, now i have to flatbed my car back out of the dealer to another shop and buy a new turbo and put that in. This sucks...and the worse part is...i havnt been given any explanation to how the turbo has went. Subaru can really suck sometimes...i mean come on, hows the bov gona hurt...it relieves preasure, not causes...its supposed to help in the long run of the turbo...not cut off 10's of thousands of miles of life of it. :mad:
so...:rolleyes: anyadvice to which turbo to go to now? I want a similar but more powerful turbo...silmilar lack of lag, and similar top end strength. o and somewhat inexpensive...yet not crap!
ryan
this scares me. its making not want to get a boost controller anymore :(

good luck with the new turbo. i think there was discussion a couple of threads down about turbo upgrades.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It wasnt the bc that hurt though...some people are getting all scared through this thread about this...i dont know what happened. It wasnt any mods i had done...its obvious. Something weird happend and Subaru wont investigate because of the BOV. dumb i know but there isnt anything i can do:confused:

·
Registered
213 Posts
can you switch back to stock BOV and try another dealer?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont think so because SOA has been notified about this now.
But does anyone know where i can find dyno results or any kind of def facts on a PE1818 for our car. (2.5 sti) thanks, id greatly appreciate it

·
Registered
213 Posts
I was thinking the dealer might have documented it, that sucks.

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
952 Posts
umm i thought that our stock turbo only handled up to about 15.5 psi safely...anything passed that was supposedly in the danger zone. That could be the reason why your turbo went so soon.

·
Registered
312 Posts
supposedly theres not much difference between our turbos and the 30/34.......which can handle 19psi no prob.

·
Registered
312 Posts
tacomaboy138 said:
umm i thought that our stock turbo only handled up to about 15.5 psi safely...anything passed that was supposedly in the danger zone. That could be the reason why your turbo went so soon.
...also....were talking about the STi turbo. YOUR turbo can only handle 15.5psi ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ahhhhh!:( i need a turbo! my car is still just sitting...im getting rides. this is really sad! its a 2004! An STi, and my turbo is gone already! this is really dumb!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Whats dumb is you trying to make the dealer pay for your mistakes. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
19,094 Posts
Mattr762 said:
Whats dumb is you trying to make the dealer pay for your mistakes. :rolleyes:
I was waiting for that. Never admit on here that you are trying to screw the dealer. People get really upset about it. Does anyone in here know what the exact safe limit is for the STI turbo? (feel free to chime in GOD:D )

1 - 20 of 65 Posts