ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, i know just a slight bit about WRX's that I've been reading from forums (mainly the newbie sections) and am intersted in purchasing one for track days as a 2nd vehicle.
have been tinkering with cars since a kid so going to make my weekend hobby

I've been talking with a seller for 2 weeks now. here are details:

$6500
2002 impreza wrx wagon new fully rebuilt manual transmission, 10k miles ago. New center differential installed at Subaru of Jacksonville, Mods are: New VF39 turbo, 560cc injectors, Cobb Access Port V2 new model,stainless steel headers, catless up pipe and down pipe,Greddy catback exhaust, aluminum radiator, lightweight flywheel, custom short shifter
and knob,custom rear strut bar, STI motor mounts, rear end bushing kit,
cold a/c, exterior/interior 9 out of 10, 174k miles,
4 brand new tires, new cv axles, front wheel bearing,

after talking to him, he said he took the turbo off and put back on stock one that is port and polished b/c he had a oil leak that he thought was from turbo but ended up being the valve cover gasket.

my questions for you guys:

he says now that stock turbo is on, the car is running rich b/c of the overpowered injectors. is this true? or should the cobb access port be able to fix that situation?
also hes running stock fuel pump, would you recommend i replace it with walbro?
he said he had to replace the center diff b/c of driving with uneven tires and that wrx's commonly cant be driven with old and new tire combo's or they will break parts, is this true?
should i be worried about the block being it has 175k on it?

thank you for all your expertise

·
"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre"
2,190 Posts
In short.... yes.

That car has obviously been abused by someone who had no business driving it. Different sized tires? REALLY? It would take quite a while of doing that to grenade the center diff... but yes, it makes perfect sense that it happened. Personally, I would never confess to making a douche move like that.

with 565cc injectors... he should have already had a walbro a long time ago..... which tells me the car was never tuned right in the first place. Yes, it needs one on 02-05 wrxs with that size injector.

stock turbo with larger injectors? It can be tuned properly, but you'll need to have a pro do it... I don't believe cobb has an OTS map for that... because it's silly. Sounds like the original owner blew up whatever he had, and went back to stock out of necessity and a lack of funds. You can believe the oil leak story if you like.

Personally... I think you are buying someone else's trash... I wouldn't pay more than $4500 for that car.... knowing that it needs work. Just my opinion.

·
Æternum
20,585 Posts
Personally... I think you are buying someone else's trash... I wouldn't pay more than $4500 for that car.... knowing that it needs work. Just my opinion.
This.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Buy a Miata.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hes a auto mechanic that fabricates frame components for a race company up in northern florida is what he tells me. so he was able to do all the mods himself. he got it with just the exhaust and lightweight flywheel.

"Personally, I would never confess to making a douche move like that" - he has been very honest with me about the car. he even said that the reason he had to have the tranny rebuilt is because he was stupid and basically rev'd the piss out of it and dropped clutch to launch a few times before the tranny went.

"Buy a Miata"
considered it, b/c i know how good they are on the track. but want a wagon for storage capacity b/c i have a 2 door 335i now. and i just have a love for the rex's. always have since I saw them in the rally competitions. wish we had rally's here in florida... :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts