Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my buddy has a 2005 WRX that he will sell me for 3k. But there is just one issue and that issue is he found some metal shaving in the oil. He said it wasnt a lot but enough that he noticed it. He didn’t say what color they were either. Is it worth the gamble? Please help!

2005 WRX
122k miles
Cat back exhaust
Never tuned
Cold air intake

Attachments

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
Have him do a UOA from Blackstone and see what they say.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are but that will be a while before it gets back. He said it runs like normal also. It’s the original motor too

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
Well that's a personal decision. I don't think anyone here can make it for you.

If you really want a WRX and have experience working on cars, $3k for a working shell and driveline is a pretty good deal. You could buy a low-mileage OEM motor and do your own install for less than the market value of the car.

If you have to get someone to do the work for you, it will get expensive quick.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I will do all the work, I won’t pay someone to do it. I was just curious what actual WRX owners thought about the price tag with the issue.

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
As long as you have the $$ for failures when they happen -- by all means. Your call.

Personally I would buy something in which I had more confidence, but if I were buying something I planned on upgrading to a high degree -- This seems like a good candidate.

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
It could be bearing material.

There is literally no way to be sure until you get the UOA done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have never owned a Subaru before. Or anything with a boxer engine so that’s why I’ve hesitant. Some people say not to worry about it. And others say to worry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts