ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, right now I'm driving a 2011 White Mazda 3 hatch 6 speed manual. It's a fun car, but no WRX or MS3 or Evo or nothin. I just got it, but I can sell it for about exactly what I bought it out the door for. So I think I'm going to do that and buy my buddies '05 WRX sedan.

He's an honest guy, but he doesn't know much about cars. He changed the oil every 5k miles, and never drove it really that hard. The previous owner (1st owner) "Replaced the engine" at 60k miles then sold it to him at >80k. I'm not to sure what that means, as far as exactly what they did in "Replacing the engine." For all I know they could've done some real minor things to keep it running for a while longer.

It has 97k miles now, and it still seems to run pretty good. It sounds good, I went through it all and it all looks good. But when I buy it I want to be on the safe side. I hear people who have their engine's die out as early as 60-70k miles. How much would it cost to replace all the tired parts in the engine at 97k miles?

I'm basically asking that if I buy this car, what're the chances of me having to drop $5,000 on a new engine after only 5 thousand miles? I don't plan on driving it too hard. And what can I do/how much would it cost to rebuild the engine so it lasts a good 75k more miles of daily driving?

Thanks, and here's a picture of his Subie. Soon to be mine hopefully!
Subie.jpg

-Alex

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,204 Posts
There is no answer to your question. However, a motor that fails at less than 150-200 k miles would have me seriously re-thinking any future purchase from that company, and most 02 motors don't fail at 100K, much less sooner. The first owner was either very unlucky or abused the car.

You can always buy a used car from someone that's not your friend; that may be a safer way to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well buying from someone that isn't my friend would only beinefit me if they had more knowledge about their cars history I guess.
He's selling it to me for $10,000, it's valued at $12,000 on KBB. So he's giving a pretty good deal.
Like I said the car appears fine in every way, and I'm going to get a car fax to see if the 60k miles "Rebuild" shows up and leads to more details, and take it to my dad's buddy who's a trusted mechanic who'll run through the car and tell me what's up.

I just wanted to hear people's opinion about high mileage mantinance as far as replacing engine components. Obviously most people here are going to trust Subaru I'm imagining, but it seems like there is a lot of knowledge around here on these cars.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I would find out if your friend has repair history from the previous owner. Normally if someone has and engine replaced, they keep the documentation for the next owner. If not, there are a lot of questions...Was the motor new, used, or reman?...If used, how many miles were on it?...Why did it fail? If you do buy it, I would do all recommended maintenance for a 97k mile car, specifically the timing belt, water pump, and idlers and tensioners. If well maintained, as SD said, 150k to 200k miles is common, but it's all in the maintenance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"specifically the timing belt, water pump, and idlers and tensioners"
That's very useful information, thank you. I'm imagining that won't run me to much, that's something that definitely would make me more confident in my cars reliability.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Just stick with the Mazda. This car looks modded.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts