Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title says i am buying a 2002 Subaru Imprenza Outback Sport this weekend. It supposedly has a bad engine. I doubt it does but if it does an engine swap seems like a pretty good idea. I am looking at the EJ20 STI Twin turbo engine from a 2001 Subaru Legacy. I am no newbie to Boost nor to engine swaps or engine work. My question comes down to what might fit as i have never owned a Subaru. Any thoughts on this subject are welcome. Is the engine i am looking at garbage starting out? How much will an STI Take before i blow it to kingdom come(Stock). Beneficial while the engine is out to upgrade the turbos and the fuel system? If a larger set of turbos is in the cards is it worth keeping the engine top IC or just go FMIC right off the bat? Like i said any thoughts are welcome and you can move this if it is not New Guy Hangout Appropriate.

·
Æternum
15,551 Posts
Have a look around RS25, they'll have much more information about swaps.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,041 Posts
I'm not aware of anyone installing one of the EJ20"TT" Legacy engines in the US. The wiring harness alone would be a nightmare to adapt into a USDM Impreza, since that engine was only ever used in JDM RHD Legacies.

Power and practicality-wise, you'd be much better off finding a USDM EJ205 off a WRX. A downpipe and a tune will get you the same sort of power figures as the Legacy engine, all with parts and documentation readily available in the US.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
I wouldn't do the twin turbo, it was a bad idea in the first place.. additional complexity, more problems, and worse performance than the single turbo engines.

·
Æternum
15,551 Posts
Hmm, I thought for sure this was outside of the U.S.A. but sure enough, IP address is matched in Ohio.

Of course, this is not a USDM motor, so it'd be very tricky for OP to pass emissions in most states.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts