ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, i know just a slight bit about WRX's that I've been reading from forums (mainly the newbie sections) and am intersted in purchasing one for track days as a 2nd vehicle.
I've been talking with a seller for 2 weeks now. here are details:

$6500
2002 impreza wrx wagon new fully rebuilt manual transmission, 10k miles ago. New center differential installed at Subaru of Jacksonville, Mods are: New VF39 turbo, 560cc injectors, Cobb Access Port V2 new model,stainless steel headers, catless up pipe and down pipe,Greddy catback exhaust, aluminum radiator, lightweight flywheel, custom short shifter
and knob,custom rear strut bar, STI motor mounts, rear end bushing kit,
cold a/c, exterior/interior 9 out of 10, 174k miles,
4 brand new tires, new cv axles, front wheel bearing,

after talking to him, he said he took the turbo off and put back on stock one that is port and polished b/c he had a oil leak that he thought was from turbo but ended up being the valve cover gasket.

my questions for you guys:

he says now that stock turbo is on, the car is running rich b/c of the overpowered injectors. is this true? or should the cobb access port be able to fix that situation?
also hes running stock fuel pump, would you recommend i replace it with walbro?
he said he had to replace the center diff b/c of driving with uneven tires and that wrx's commonly cant be driven with old and new tire combo's or they will break parts, is this true?
should i be worried about the block being it has 175k on it?

thank you for all your expertise

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
alot of views but no replies?? could use your help, have been looking at many turbo replacement threads and injector threads and most just say "you have to be tuned for the injectors" is the cobb access port system the "tune"?

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
If it is running a Cobb OTS map with bigger injectors, yes, it is running rich. I would highly recommend either putting stock size injectors back on or getting a protune. That size injector does not need a bigger fuel pump than stock. Although, with 175K miles, a new pump probably couldn't hurt.

Have a full inspection and compression test done on the car before purchasing.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
he says now that stock turbo is on, the car is running rich b/c of the overpowered injectors. is this true? or should the cobb access port be able to fix that situation?
also hes running stock fuel pump, would you recommend i replace it with walbro?
he said he had to replace the center diff b/c of driving with uneven tires and that wrx's commonly cant be driven with old and new tire combo's or they will break parts, is this true?
should i be worried about the block being it has 175k on it?

thank you for all your expertise
Agreed...you should grab a walbro...it will flow better to those injectors.

It is true that you aren't supposed to use different tire combos. The tires need to be the same model/size as well as similar wear patterns, otherwise it risks frying differentials, as in the seller's case.

Many Subarus last through many thousands of miles...get a compression test done to find out if the block is in good shape.

What tune did the seller say he was running?

To be honest though...I'd walk away from this sale. It looks to be more of an unloading of issues than anything. Think about it: if you are going to be tracking this car, you are going to be stressing it much more than just daily street driving. Something is more inclined to break that way, especially at 170k+ miles on the stock block/heads. This has potential to cost you a lot more than $6500 in the grand scheme of things. Look for something that is stock, one owner, and with a good kept record of servicing.

·
Æternum
20,883 Posts
Do not buy this car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He said its running stage 3 now. And yeah a compression test is a great idea thank u. Was thinking that same thing.
to Zach and garrett, do u say no go based on the mileage? I know by tracking any car its gonna take abuse but I will only b running it at track prolly 6-10 days out if the year. I have donee mechanical work on my old Pontiac I had before so im not too worried about external engine repair. But don't feel comfortable going internal. But doing repairs is half the fun right? :)

·
Æternum
20,883 Posts
to Zach and garrett, do u say no go based on the mileage?
I'm more worried about the fact that the PO clearly didn't know what the frick he was doing.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
But doing repairs is half the fun right? :)
Wrong. Although I enjoy doing maintenance and working on my own car, fixing someone elses headaches are not one of my favorite things to do.

I'm more worried about the fact that the PO clearly didn't know what the frick he was doing.
This.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, u used the term "protune" and "cobb OTS map" not familiar w these terms sorry. Could u explain?

·
Æternum
20,883 Posts
Also, u used the term "protune" and "cobb OTS map" not familiar w these terms sorry. Could u explain?
OTS map = off the shelf map. Maps that are tuned for specific mods on a large population of vehicles.

Protune = Professional tune. Maps that are tuned specifically for your vehicle by a professional tuner (typically on a dyno)

E-tune = Email tune. Maps that are created by professional tuners for your specific vehicle, but substitutes in "pulls" and datalogging for dyno time.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
OTS is "off the shelf." The are pre-configured parameters for your ECU that pertain to specific upgrades or modifications you've made to your vehicle. They are generally considered safe but very generic and are limited to what aftermarket parts you can install on your car and safely run the tune. Protune is a term that is used for people who take their cars to a shop or individual and they tune your specific car for whatever upgrades you have. Generally these net you better power gains and allow you to do more upgrades beyond what an OTS map compensates for.

And what zach said.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
ale5six1 said:
He said its running stage 3 now.
There is no "StageIII" base map for the Cobb AP. There is no map that accounts for larger injectors (likely 565s) and a TD04 turbo.

The only way he has a map for his setup is if he had it custom tuned before going to the VF39. Regardless, this seller doesn't sound like someone I'd want to buy a car from.

zax said:
Do not buy this car.
Agreed.

·
Æternum
20,883 Posts
There is no "StageIII" base map for the Cobb AP. There is no map that accounts for larger injectors (likely 565s) and a TD04 turbo.
In his defense, Bugeyes running a VF39, STi TMIC, and STi pink injectors have been termed "stage 3" over at CobbForums.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah he did say "if u get a ram air intake and new tmic you will have full stage 3" so prolly got the info from conv forums like u said. But if it doesn't come w a stage 3 pre loaded then he must have downloaded it right?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
You can't assume that he had downloaded anything unfortunately. Unless he can outright tell you that it has specifically been tuned using a Cobb AP with an OTS Stage 3 map, or if it's been protuned by a tuner.

Yes, working on cars is fun...but at that mileage, if you are going to abuse it as such at a track 6-10 days a year, then you can expect that you WILL have to do internal mechanical repair.

As I said in my first post, and as many others suggested, it just doesn't seem like the right car to go for. I'd be wary of it.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Please just walk away from this - it will be a nightmare for you to sort out with no previous experience. Conversely, if you had any experience with WRX, you would know enough already to walk away on your own.

Read in the car purchasing forum - there are several stickies of interest.

Get at stage II car that has never had a high power turbo at most. Make sure it was done exactly right and is still tuned correctly if you even get stage II. You are much better off getting a car with really good suspension mods if anything (not cheap coilovers etc.). You will have much better luck and a better experience if you can find a stock car and enjoy doing the mods right yourself.

The injector size may easily have caused enough rich to bore wash the oil out of the cylinders and cause major damage.

The mileage is too high (not that it can't go much further, but everything is worn that much more - ball joints, bushings etc. etc.).

Read this - if it is different in pretty much any way, it is not right.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/134325261-first-modifications-what-do-not-do.html

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
zax said:
In his defense, Bugeyes running a VF39, STi TMIC, and STi pink injectors have been termed "stage 3" over at CobbForums.
There were multiple base maps for upgraded turbos, including the VF39, 16G, and the 18G.

The seller sounds like an idiot.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Even for a 2nd "track day" car, this smells like an enormous headache waiting to happen.

My advice? As with any WRX, try to find one as stock as possible. I understand you won't be relying on this car everyday, but if you get one in good shape to begin with, you'll have a much more reliable platform to build off off. Even if you have to pay a bit more for it, consider that Subarus have a good market for parts, so things like seats, stock engine bits, wheels, etc, can all be sold at good prices to fund other things. Don't expect to pay for everything this way, but your odds of success are much higher with a car that hasnt' been beaten to death.

Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
just asked him if the cobb AP came with the stage 3 on it pre loaded and he said yes. so this is BS?
sorry for all the questions, I've just never used one of these access ports before so have no idea. I have a stage 2 on my current car but just had the ECU flashed at the dealership, have no experience with handheld map tuners

1 - 20 of 41 Posts