Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am looking into new cars to replace my Jetta Sportwagen TDI, and I believe I have narrowed it down to a MK7 GTI(2015 or 2016), or a WRX hatchback between 2010 and 2014. My price range is under $20k, and so by getting a GTI, I can get the SE model with around 20k miles on it from 2016. However, with a wrx, I get more room, power, and all wheel drive. In order to get a wrx in my price range (leather seats so limited model) I will have to be picking up a model with at least 50,000 miles on it, and possibly up to 80k. So My question is, is this a good investment to buy at this mileage. Assuming that decent care was given by the previous owner, and I take good care of it, will it have a hard time getting to 150k+ with not too much money into it? I plan to do maybe some stage 1 and possibly into stage 2 upgrades, with an accsessport, upgraded intake, and maybe some exhaust components. I will drive it around 20k miles per year, maybe a bit less. So Should I go for the subie, or stick with the newer GTI that is a little nicer of a car on the inside. Thanks

I am In CT btw if you have any suggestions for listings within something around a 200 mile radius

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
If -- and only if -- you buy a stock, unmodified Subaru with a full service history that has included all the scheduled maintenance using only authentic Subaru parts, ideally from someone that unlike me is not a "car guy" or "enthusiast" but who valued reliable cars and made sure theirs remained so, then one of two things ought to happen:

1. The car runs great for 150K like you ask, provided you too do not modify it and do keep up to date with authentic parts
or
2. The car fails prematurely. If this happens, never buy another Subaru again, and tell all your friends not to buy Subarus either.

My car has been a good car. It's needed repairs but I've had it 15 years now. It's stock.

YMMV.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts