Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m 18 years old and my first car a 2004 Acura MDX with 250 thousand miles on it has reached then end of its life. I need a new car for traveling to and from college next year, I’ll be driving to Lubbock Texas from Colorado and I need it to last about 6 to 7 years. I’ve got a budget of about 7 to 11 thousand dollars being paid cash. Being new to car buying I don’t know where to start. I like the Impreza and the wrx hence why I’m here. What do I need to look out for while shopping these cars particularly in the private sales like on car gurus or Craig’s List.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more note, used car prices in Colorado are inflated in comparison to other states like Florida and Texas information on buying these kind of cars out of state would be useful too.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
I have the following right now:

WRX
Honda Pilot
MR2
Merc

Of all those, the Honda Pilot is the best car.

I’m surprised your MDX is knackered because my Pilot is the same chassis and it’s got 325,000 miles and has never had a problem. I just did the timing belt service etc. It’s driven daily and is our go-to car for long trips etc.

I’d get another MDX or a Pilot with a full service history. Pilots come in FWD too if you no longer care about snow. Have a look at piloteers.org for model info and things to watch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the following right now:

WRX
Honda Pilot
MR2
Merc

Of all those, the Honda Pilot is the best car.

I’m surprised your MDX is knackered because my Pilot is the same chassis and it’s got 325,000 miles and has never had a problem. I just did the timing belt service etc. It’s driven daily and is our go-to car for long trips etc.

I’d get another MDX or a Pilot with a full service history. Pilots come in FWD too if you no longer care about snow. Have a look at piloteers.org for model info and things to watch.

My MDX was driven hard by myself and my dad as a work car for landscaping.
My main aversion to the pilot and the MDX is the gas mileage of the older models, which are the cars in my budget, is pretty low. I was getting about 15 to 16 on my MDX, they upgraded the engines in the MDX and RDX around 2012 or 2014, I think, and that helped the gas mileage substantially. The stupid teenager in me also wants a faster car, I stupidly shopped rx8s for a while. But thank you for the tip of piloteers.com it’s the smarter car choice.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
I cannot stand Wankel “engines.”

My WRX is older and with a light foot I’ll get 25 mpg using premium. My Pilot is a 2007 and I’ll get 24 mpg using regular.

Look also at 2012+ Camry. A friend has one. Brilliant choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cannot stand Wankel “engines.”

My WRX is older and with a light foot I’ll get 25 mpg using premium. My Pilot is a 2007 and I’ll get 24 mpg using regular.

Look also at 2012+ Camry. A friend has one. Brilliant choice.
I must say on the rx8 I didn’t care for the engine it was more that they can be insured for next to nothing in comparison with other cars of a similar type because of its “4 doors” and 1.3 L engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts