ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DISCLAIMER I AM NOT CONDONING SPENDING ALL YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY ON A PROJECT CAR.

After reading several posts from newer posters, such as myself, asking if "should I buy this?" usually modded or ragged on wrx. Sometimes an STI or something along those lines. Its not just here, its internet wide, Ive see the same thing on NASIOC and a few others. The typical consensus is the same... "DONT BUY THAT!" and for good reason. They are prone to sucking up tons of money to then be abandon and again dumped off on someone else or it never runs right and just turns into a big pain in the ass.

After watching my kids (22, 18, and 16) all buy Subarus and them, yes putting 1000s of dollars into them and I myself am doing the same thing currently with my bugeye project I started thinking about these posters and began to wonder... Who are they? Are they my kids? Are they late teens, early to mid 20 somethings looking for validation to convince them thats its ok to take the jump?

As you all may have noticed, Im typically for the purchase of these vehicles as long as the buyer understands the risks and costs associated with them.. for my sons, having a vehicle to care for, experiment on, become frustrated with and learn from is invaluable. For instance... the 18 year old... Bought a mint condition forester. 140k miles, very well taken care of phenomenal car. he has since blown the motor up because of a radiator leak. He bought a JDM ej20 non turbo motor, did the entire swap himself in my carport when he was 17, went "off roading" after lifting and widening it, crushed the exhaust, got all new header back exhaust, He has swapped and upgraded the rotors and calipers, replaced all the wheel bearings, new struts, etc etc etc... He has since purchased a boat and jetski and rebuilt and flipped about 8-10 boat motors and makes great money doing it.. The oldest, after tanking the yellow wagon, he decied to splurge and buy a built Hawkeye for 15K!! he took a loan and its already paid off in a year. His car had a CEL and some idle issues prior to his purchase, took it to our local turner, and 300$ it runs amazing. he picked up a bigger turbo and got it tuned again, still runs amazing.

See where Im going? So I see these posts from, likely kids with what some may consider "low" incomes and see replys like, "find a stock one". I dont like turning away potential buyers because they cant afford a Subaru. If taken care of, they can be excellent cars and worth owning for a long time... Costly? sure it can be. But often can be worth it.. Here is short list of what I found on Craigslist after a quick search in Central Florida. Notice the only "affordable" one? and some are bit OUTRAGEOUS.

This first one though? wow 19000 for a bone stock sti with only 15K?!?!?! nice

here comes this idiot...

Yes this is a very small list of Subarus available. But I dont have facebook or whatever and didnt find ANYTING at all on offerup. So if you guys find more of these "stock" WRX that a kid can afford, post it!

The purpose of the post is to try and bring to light the lack of affordable stock WRXs.. They are getting exceedingly difficult to find. cars of an entire generation are disappearing. Decent condition late 90s Hondas are no where to be found and the kids still want to be involved in the "tuner culture" So i think shying them away from potentially being a great mechanic and knowledgeable when they are in their 30s-40s isnt the correct approach. they should learn on the "cheap" ones mechanically so when they get to the newer 40-50k $ cars in 10 years when everything is electric at least tthey can remember working on their Junker like we all did as kids...

·
10,686 Posts
You'd want a newer compression and leak down test

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, lol.. but Im not buying one. I was conveying a message regarding younger, less financially stable individuals trying to purchase used modified Subarus and how "find a stock one" isnt always the only answer.

·
Æternum
15,258 Posts
Ok, lol.. but Im not buying one. I was conveying a message regarding younger, less financially stable individuals trying to purchase used modified Subarus and how "find a stock one" isnt always the only answer.
And so you think that younger and less financially stable individuals should buy modified old cars?

I think you are misrepresenting the cost of ownership and safety concerns.

Find the newest, stock car that you can afford. And if you are 16 and have no supplemental income, it's probably a better play to not own a "turbo Subaru" at all. That has always been my message and will continue to be.

·
Registered
2013 WRX Premium, Sedan
35 Posts
I think most people with the confidence to buy a car like you suggest would not be asking the question to begin with. If a person is really ready and willing to take on a challenge, they have the self confidence to not seek validation in the project but instead would buy the car then work on the "how do I fix" vs the should I buy this with a deer in the headlights tone about them.

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Impreza WRX Premium 5-Door 2.5L Turbocharged 5-Speed Manual
61 Posts
I agree with the OP 1000%. I was one of "those" kids like his.

The WRX/STI is in the heart of tuner culture, and tuner culture is all about modifications. Whether it be engine performance, aesthetic upgrades, suspension and steering, sound, aero, whatever it may be, making a change and seeing a change is what it's all about. There's no better way to learn about modded cars than to own one that you can tinker with at your own leisure.

All too often I see the "keep it stock/don't buy one if ___/buy something else/do your own research" comments and it drives me nuts. Sure, some people just shouldn't be doing their own work, these cars are pricey to maintain/upgrade, and a lot of people are just plain clueless. But keeping it stock or buying something else doesn't help people learn about a car that they're likely all too passionate about, which is why they come here in the first place - to learn.

People come to the forums for knowledge from experienced owners, drivers, or technicians such as myself, and I often see evidence of people replying, clearly without having read or fully understanding the OP, as well as just some straight misinformation being pushed down someones throat. Raining on their parade, while sometimes necessary, is largely counter productive to growing the community. As OP states, it's hard enough to find a decent deal on a WRX, as my experience verifies after searching since January and finally finding mine a few weeks ago out of state. If people are discouraged from buying a WRX by long time owners for any reason, they will likely not be joining the community, and they most definitely will not be learning about one of the better cars driving down the road as a result. I have come here myself to learn, before I even bought my WRX, as well as to share some of my knowledge as a highly trained and certified technician. I've found some good info, but I see a lot of people looking for information get put down for simply asking a question.

The entire world has a problem with lack of knowledge, and more so than that - respect. Share it willingly, if you have it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And so you think that younger and less financially stable individuals should buy modified old cars?

I think you are misrepresenting the cost of ownership and safety concerns.
I do think that, yes... Well some of them. Depending on what motivates these individuals, it can be a very entertaining and rewarding experience which can organically grown their interest in automobiles and mechanics/engineering in general. Motivating them to strive for more income to pay for the hobby and invest in their future by becoming more educated whether it be school or joining the workforce and getting to know the industry.

And I respectfully disagree when you say I am misrepresenting the COO.. I made it abundantly clear when I boldly stated the disclaimer in the post and also when I said "They are prone to sucking up tons of money to then be abandon and again dumped off on someone else or it never runs right and just turns into a big pain in the ass. " amongst other things. As for safety? I am not sure what you mean by this. All cars are extremely dangerous when driven irresponsibly. Yes, they are turbo and AWD so they give a sense of "sports car" to the driver, and since young people are extremely impressionable, this effect can be magnified significantly... so I agree on that point, but I then repeat, this is with all cars, I can go 105 in my jetta on 95, or i could buy a Mustang GT for 3k$ and get 300hp unmodified.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts