ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm not buying the super computer PPM just got. But I'm looking for something worth spending my money on. Right now Dell has me interested (now please don't post if you like or dislike Dell...let me figure that out myself). What I want to know is, I'm looking at a 2.8 GHz pentium 4, with 533 front side bus and my two options are 512 Mb of RAM. Either Shared DDR SDRAM or Dual Channel DDR SDRAM.

The Dual speed is 5.3 GHz vs. 2.1 GHz for the shared.

So is the dual channel worth my money on a processor like the one I'm looking at or will I be better off keeping my money in my pocket and getting the shared RAM?

And do I need a floppy drive anymore? Does software (like windows XP Pro) install off the CD ROM without the need of a floppy? I don't use them in my day to day life so I'd like to not buy one if I don't need to. HELP!

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I won't say anything about Dell then, but I will say something about Intel. I have an old Athlon XP 1800 and if all I were upgrading to was a P4 2.8 533FSB, I wouldn't bother, unless I were going to OC the heck out of it. It's just not worth it to mess with P4's atm unless you go top-end and get 800FSB, Hyper-Threading, etc., because for the same price as that 2.8, you could get a lot more Athlon...

If you're just looking to get on the Internet and surf ClubWRX though, that is a decent system that will last you awhile if you're getting it cheap...

-snowcat

·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It'll be used for school (internet classes) in a business degree. So nothing major (no more AutoCAD like I used to do, etc). So I think the speed will be good enough for me. I've heard good things about Athlon, but I'm 'afraid' of it. LOL I'm too stuck on Pentiums.

BTW, this will be an upgrade from my PII 300 Mhz with 288 RAM, that currently clicks because the HD died on me.

So anything is better than what I had. :lol:

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
You will be very pleased with the speed if you are upgrading from 300Mhz! Also, if you're just using business applications, that should be fine. I find personally that for "average" applications such as excel, MS word, etc. having more RAM beats out a slightly faster processor if you had to make the choice...

-snowcat

·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
snowcat said:
You will be very pleased with the speed if you are upgrading from 300Mhz! Also, if you're just using business applications, that should be fine. I find personally that for "average" applications such as excel, MS word, etc. having more RAM beats out a slightly faster processor if you had to make the choice...

-snowcat
Well I have a 2.4GHz with 128 RAM at work so I'm used to semi-fast computers...but yeah, what I had at home was ancient. :) It will definitely be used for average stuff. I think the most it'll ever need to perform is copying CDs, maybe light editing of photos. But nothing that requires a ton of processor speed or memory.

So is the Dual Channel RAM worth it then (it's less than $100 more...I forget exactly how much it is in price difference... but not much).

·
Registered
596 Posts
get a dell man they last forever with minimal problems as long as u do the necassary tasks to keep it up to date and clean. ive had a dell for the past 7-8 years now, i will keep going to them. plus theyre customer service is 2nd to none.

bump for a dell

·
Registered
495 Posts
TgoWRX04 said:
get a dell man they last forever with minimal problems as long as u do the necassary tasks to keep it up to date and clean. ive had a dell for the past 7-8 years now, i will keep going to them. plus theyre customer service is 2nd to none.

bump for a dell

UM, dell's customer service blows a fat one, they are all outsourced, so if you don't mind a person from India readin you a script when your comp just crashed and your term paper is due tomorrow, then by all means get a dell, and 2 the dell I had went in 10 times in the first year, yes I do a lot of photoshopping but a computer is meant to be used no? Have you ever thought of a mac? If you are a student you get a student discount, they are hella fast, there are NO VIRUSES OR SPYWARE written for mac thus far, I just switched 3 months ago and I will NEVER buy another PC again. I bought a 1ghz ibook and I also have in my house a p4 2.4ghz with 1 gig of ram and a 120gig hard drive and I will use my ibook over it any day of the week, except if you are a super gamer then you can get better graphics cards for PCs.

Just a thought.

·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ero2 said:
UM, dell's customer service blows a fat one, they are all outsourced, so if you don't mind a person from India readin you a script when your comp just crashed and your term paper is due tomorrow, then by all means get a dell, and 2 the dell I had went in 10 times in the first year, yes I do a lot of photoshopping but a computer is meant to be used no? Have you ever thought of a mac? If you are a student you get a student discount, they are hella fast, there are NO VIRUSES OR SPYWARE written for mac thus far, I just switched 3 months ago and I will NEVER buy another PC again. I bought a 1ghz ibook and I also have in my house a p4 2.4ghz with 1 gig of ram and a 120gig hard drive and I will use my ibook over it any day of the week, except if you are a super gamer then you can get better graphics cards for PCs.

Just a thought.
I cannot stand Mac's. My brother has one, and therefor my Mom got one...I cannot use it. Nothing works like I want it to, its hard to not have the 'right click' funtion that Windows based computers do and my Mom's had rampant issues (wouldn't print unless you reselected the printer each time before printing, etc). I'll stick with IBM compatables. But thanks for the suggestion.

No one knows about Dual Channel vs. Shared??????

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts
You don't need dual channel ram.

Get a Dell, because they are reliable, customer service is good, and they last for evar.

2.8GHz with 512mb ram, and as much Hard drive spaces as you see fit. Really 120GB is more than enough for average users (such as your self).

Like ero2, I too use photoshop every day, for people like us we need the fastest thing out there (mine is a p4 3.00, 1GB ram, and the fastest hard drives at the time).

The computer you described in your first post is was you should get.
If you can afford it get a 17" or bigger flat panel, your eye's will thank you.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Any computer will theoretically last as long as any other brand (unless the quality of components is severely cheap, although i've never really had a problem with cheapo components). It is all in how you maintain the thing (noone ever seems to understand this)

Just don't F up your computer with spyware, defrag occasionally and the thing will last until your powersupply or motherboard blows up.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
jeremy96gase said:
Get a Dell, because they are reliable, customer service is good, and they last for evar.
this is hilarious. I could mabye buy the reliable, I won't personally, but it's opinionative. their customer service is horrible. I have gone through 2 desktop's and a laptop, they are all now sold. I will never buy a dell again.

snowcat is correct. skip the p4, go with an amd chip. you'll be much happier and will definaly save some money.

you didn't want people commenting on whether they like dell or not, this person did, so i'm giving you the other side from experience that it's not worth paying more money for a little dell symbol on your computer.

check out www.pugetsystems.com

i've purchased a computer from them before. great prices (not as good as building your own, but better then any gateway, dell, etc pos). their customer service is actually very good.

if you can build your own, go to pricewatch.com or newegg.com and just do that. the savings are well worth it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My AMD machine was the reason Jim built the A64. You won't necessarily need a 64 bit processor, but I do recommend an AMD over an Intel, because of the bang for the buck factor. My system is plenty fast, even with eleventy billion programs open while I play a game.

Basically, my system is...
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (400MHz)
Asus A7N8XE-Deluxe
1GB Corsair TwinX DDR4000 (dual channel)
WD Raptor 36 GB 10K RPM SATA HDD
NVidia GeForce FX5500OC 256MB video

You could skimp on the HDD and video card to pinch pennies.

If you're set on a Dell, check http://www.slickdeals.net/ on occasion. The servers make killer desktops, and you can usually get one for an awesome deal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts