ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I'm back with another purchasing question. Since I first joined the forum my tastes have changed and my ideas of what I want have become much more refined. This forum has taught me a lot about my future car and what I can expect when buying one! So first, thanks for that!!

I will begin my active search for a WRX in Mid January to Early February. I will have an est budget of 13k-15k.

Two questions:

1. With my budget what kind of car can I expect to get (see signature for what I want)

2. I have heard that it is not a good idea to purchase a car in the winter. People have given many reasons for this but, I wanted to hear it from the people I have learned to trust!

As always, any input is appreciated :)

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
In my opinion your buget is realistic to what you want. Obviously a nice STI in that price range may take longer to find than a WRX. I don't see a problem with buying a car in the winter. Cold weather is tough on a car so if it performs well in the winter, reason has it that it will perform well in the summer.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
Alright guys I'm back with another purchasing question. Since I first joined the forum my tastes have changed and my ideas of what I want have become much more refined. This forum has taught me a lot about my future car and what I can expect when buying one! So first, thanks for that!!

I will begin my active search for a WRX in Mid January to Early February. I will have an est budget of 13k-15k.

Two questions:

1. With my budget what kind of car can I expect to get (see signature for what I want)

2. I have heard that it is not a good idea to purchase a car in the winter. People have given many reasons for this but, I wanted to hear it from the people I have learned to trust!

As always, any input is appreciated :)
Wow, your tastes change quickly!

1: I'd say you can expect to get an 04-07 WRX or STI.

2: I'd like to know this also. That's a new one for me.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my opinion your buget is realistic to what you want. Obviously a nice STI in that price range may take longer to find than a WRX. I don't see a problem with buying a car in the winter. Cold weather is tough on a car so if it performs well in the winter, reason has it that it will perform well in the summer.
See I have heard the opposite. People have told me that because it is cold you can't get a true feel for over-heating problems. I never thought the season would matter for buying a car but recently multiple people have told me to hold off until it warms up.

Wow, your tastes change quickly!

1: I'd say you can expect to get an 04-07 WRX or STI.

2: I'd like to know this also. That's a new one for me.
It isn't really my taste as much as me realizing I can't afford a newer 08+ WRX lol

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
See I have heard the opposite. People have told me that because it is cold you can't get a true feel for over-heating problems. I never thought the season would matter for buying a car but recently multiple people have told me to hold off until it warms up.
The cars operating temp doesn't change regardless the season. The way I see it is that even on the hottest day, the ambient temp is 100 degrees cooler than engine temp. If there is a cooling issue, it'll overheat on the coldest of days.
If you let the car idle and the fans turn on and all is normal, the outside temp shouldn't matter.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a car in the winter but if you're uncomfortable about it, Spring is just around the corner and it'll give you an opportunity to save a little extra, which never hurts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The main problem I foresee buying a car in the winter would be if it came with summer tires, like they do from the factory. Be careful, and don't drive more than you have to on summers in the winter.

Otherwise, it's true that winter puts a lot more stress on a car than summer, so it should show you issues a lot easier than in the summer (think antifreeze problems and such). Just treat it right (go REAL easy on it until it warms up, etc), and you'll be fine. Also, do an oil change as soon as spring hits.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cars operating temp doesn't change regardless the season. The way I see it is that even on the hottest day, the ambient temp is 100 degrees cooler than engine temp. If there is a cooling issue, it'll overheat on the coldest of days.
If you let the car idle and the fans turn on and all is normal, the outside temp shouldn't matter.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a car in the winter but if you're uncomfortable about it, Spring is just around the corner and it'll give you an opportunity to save a little extra, which never hurts
I think you just solved the dilemma lol. Not that I'm going to wait though, I just feel a lot better about getting one in the winter now.

The main problem I foresee buying a car in the winter would be if it came with summer tires, like they do from the factory. Be careful, and don't drive more than you have to on summers in the winter.

Otherwise, it's true that winter puts a lot more stress on a car than summer, so it should show you issues a lot easier than in the summer (think antifreeze problems and such). Just treat it right (go REAL easy on it until it warms up, etc), and you'll be fine. Also, do an oil change as soon as spring hits.
Great advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts