Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I’m looking to buy a used 15/16/17 wrx (probably limited) and was wondering if anyone could let me know what common things i should look for before purchasing the vehicle. I will perform all the basic checks but I want to know what specific things I should look for with this generation wrx.

I am buying it from a dealership and it will have somewhere from 10-35k miles on it.

Thank you and I hope I will be posting a lot more on the forums after I buy this thing!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
MY advice would be to just get a certified one from a Subaru dealer. Price difference between used and certified on these cars is roughly about $1k, or the price of a used car warranty anyways. The certified program from Subaru is pretty sweet, well worth $1k

·
Registered
338 Posts
If the limited is not at the very tip top of your $$ range, and if the price diff is close, just buy new. Everytime Ive gone to buy a used Subie Id find a deal on a new one that ended up being so close it didnt make sense to buy used.

If you are on the east coast, Clayton at Ramsey subaru in NJ sells to board members at invoice or under. Try him, though he is on vacation next week. You might be able to get a hold of him today. Here is a link to the buying program. Read the rules and give it a shot

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-p...-clubwrx-new-car-buying-program-its-back.html

·
Æternum
15,546 Posts
The problem with used performance Subarus is inevitably the owners.

A healthy bit of profiling will help here -- previous owner wears flatbrim, vapes, gratuitously uses the word "bro," bought a new WRX beyond their means... run away.

Find a stock car; unmodified. You don't want to deal with someone else's project, particularly with today's Subaru owners.

·
Registered
550 Posts
After looking at prices and financing . . . for me it made a lot more sense to go new . . . the added bonus being I know exactly how the car was maintained from Day 1, if it was used and abused, etc. and that brings a certain peace of mind.

If you still opt to go used . . . find a reputable dealer and opt to go with a certified car would be my recommendation.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yeah when I bought the only used premiums I could find were $1500 cheaper than the deal I got on new. And Clayton would have gone under what my dealer offered. Worth reaching out for sure

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First off I’d like to thank you all for the responses!

I looked at a 2017 today and it was in great shape but I’m going to sleep on it another night. It was Sunday so the dealerships were not open long enough for me to visit another wrx and the price was a tad bit high on this one.

I think I will look for a good deal on a used premium or a limited and if I can’t find something I feel is fair, will just buy a new 2018 base.

Will post again tomorrow hopefully after I purchase it ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't get a 2015. Mine had mad little annoying issues constantly that I had to bring it into the dealer for. Lots of time Spent with the electronics have mad issues/starting issues. All fixed but man did the dealer suck at figuring them out. I spent probably 12 trips there and back just for the 2 bigger issues that were occurring to finally be reserved. What a nightmare my Rex has been for real.

·
Registered
338 Posts
also consider that the 18s have thicker glass and more sound insulation so they are a good bit quieter. Drive new and compare to used you are interested in before you decide.

·
Registered
41 Posts
First off I’d like to thank you all for the responses!

I looked at a 2017 today and it was in great shape but I’m going to sleep on it another night. It was Sunday so the dealerships were not open long enough for me to visit another wrx and the price was a tad bit high on this one.

I think I will look for a good deal on a used premium or a limited and if I can’t find something I feel is fair, will just buy a new 2018 base.

Will post again tomorrow hopefully after I purchase it ?
idk what your price range is, but im pretty sure you can get a 18 premium.. limited trim has leather seats and better sound system, but if you could get a new 18 base or premium why not

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a seeing a few of them i decided to go for a blue 2017 premium. It was between that or a 2018 base with the same amt of miles or a 2015 limited with much much much higher miles. I didn’t really like the leather seats on the 2015 but liked the sunroof and heated seats enough to get the 2017 premium, plus the dealership was able to work with us more on the price than the 2018 dealer would.

Very happy with my purchase and I’m definitely looking forward to posting more in this forum.

Thank you all again!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Did you end up going certified? And post some pics, we know it's the same car but still nice to see some pride in ownership ??

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes! and trust me i have taken so many!!
may want to get an imgur account. The on site host rarely works there attachments always become invalid but congrats on going certified.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After a seeing a few of them i decided to go for a blue 2017 premium. It was between that or a 2018 base with the same amt of miles or a 2015 limited with much much much higher miles. I didn’t really like the leather seats on the 2015 but liked the sunroof and heated seats enough to get the 2017 premium, plus the dealership was able to work with us more on the price than the 2018 dealer would.

Very happy with my purchase and I’m definitely looking forward to posting more in this forum.

Thank you all again!!
Welcome! I recently bought a 2017 WR Blue Premium with 11k miles, factory warranty in place and all books etc, for $26k, back in November and cannot be happier. I have heard mixed commentary on the Subaru leather, and the premium trim has plenty of the extras you need.

I think you made a great choice! Would love to see the pics.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts