ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I are about to buy a 2005 WRX Sport Wagon. Unfortunately we'll need to buy it pretty much sight unseen, as the dealership only has the sedan available. they can have a wagon shipped out if we decide to buy it.

We drove the sedan and it was frigging beautiful. Tell me, are there any handling differences or otherwise between the sedan and wagon?

I'm trying to get it for about $24000. Good price? Would you try to get it lower?

And, accessories... I damn well want a turbo gauge, but I'm thinking of going with the three-instrument cluster that replaces the clock. Thoughts? Does the stand-alone turbo gauge block the tach or spedometer?

And lastly, how about the short-throw shifter. Worth it? I loved the way my Miata used to shift and if the short-throw would make the wrx shift like that, it'd be a no brainer.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. I'm new to Subarus totally.

Thanks
Bruno

·
Registered
14 Posts
use carsdirect to find the target price for the vehicle, print it out, and bring it to the dealership so you have something to bargain with. also, go through their internet department if they have one.

·
Registered
882 Posts
If you're considering getting the center gauge pod, you might want to consider getting an aftermarket pod and gauges installed. It won't cost a terrible amount more than the factory pod, and you could get something much nicer. Search the cockpit and cabin forum for "gauge pods" or something similar and you'll find some really nice ones. Oh, and I would definitely go for the short throw.

·
Registered
154 Posts
just buy it- you'll love it. I have an 04 wagon and i love it. I never drove a sedan so i don't know how they compare but the wagon does not feel like a wagon - it feels pretty darn sporty. Definately get the short throw

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cliff201 said:
just buy it- you'll love it. I have an 04 wagon and i love it. I never drove a sedan so i don't know how they compare but the wagon does not feel like a wagon - it feels pretty darn sporty. Definately get the short throw

I think I am SO buying this car. Just haggling with the dealer and stuff. I hate that part.

Tell me. How good is the short-throw? What other options are worth it?

Oh man. I can't wait to get this thing on the road.

·
Registered
154 Posts
the only option I got was the short throw- I felt that i needed that- I regret that i didnt get the boost gauge and I am putting one in VERY soon. I also never drove one without bthe short throw- so i can't compare but it always goes right in and all you really have to do is flip your wrist a bit and your in the next gear- which is cool. U get used to it and then regular shifters on other cars just feel like 2 feet long or whatever. It is sort of notchy but nothing to comlain about. I hope that helps -

·
Registered
863 Posts
I've driven wrxs with and without the short throw. The short throw is definitely a worthwhile option IMO. I am so happy I got it with my wagon.

I've driven audis, bmws and a benz 6 speed since, and my subie short throw is still my favorite. (not that I'm biased or anything ;) ) Nice short shifts, positive feel through the gates and fairly smooth but also slightly notchy (in a good way).

As far as handling, I've actually never driven the sedan so I can't be positive. From what I understand, though, because of the wagon's extra weight in the rear, the weight distribution gets closer to 50/50, so I would assume the handling feels a touch more balanced.

·
Registered
29 Posts
first off congrats, i love my wagon. 24 off the lot is reasonable.. i got mine for 23 off the lot, tags and title. handling characteristics, too be honest, people say its suppose to be a little heavier and better weight distribution.. when i drove both cars, i couldn't tell a damn difference. the only time i think you would be able to tell is if you take a corner really hard, and know one car, then drive the other and do the same thing and see how it reacts different, but as far as daily driving... wont be any difference. if you do decide to mod it though, several little quirky suspension differences though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow this board is fantastic.

Ok, so the consensus is that I pull the trigger on this thing, not worry about the wagon handling much differently, and definitely go with the short-throw...

So about that turbo boost gauge... Does it block anything up front? Any value in spending the extra $300 or whatever it is and get the cluster that replaces the clock?

What are the other must-have options? How about an audio upgrade? From what I read here it seems to be worthless... But I definitely want good sound. I'm not an audio freak, and don't plan on waking my neighbors with my thumping bass, but I love music and the system in my Saab 9-3 just absolutely blows. That's a small reason why I'm trading it.

Thanks guys. This place rocks hard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dog

I should mention also... Half the reason we want the wagon is that we have a greyhound, and we need something big enough for him to stand up in. He absolutely won't go in the back seat of a car. Anyone here got a BIG DOG and a wrx wagon? How's it working out?

·
Registered
29 Posts
the oem sound system hurts.. it hurts me when i listen to it. in my opinion you can do so much better for 300 dollars, you can get a defi for that price.. which is top tier. i say save your money and get aftermarket.

as far as the dog, i have an 80 lb lab, and she's completely fine in there, however she is a lot shorter than a grey hound... might want to fold the seats down when you put him/her in there.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Folding the seats down might be your best bet when driving with your greyhound, except for the fact that he/she may get in your face when you are driving. :wiggles:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Oh and BTW, you will love your new WRX :D :D

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
OEM must haves for wagon owners:
  • Center armrest extension - extra storage for phone, car-charger, radar detector, glasses, etc.
  • Rear cargo tray - makes cleaning up a snap after hauling cargo or pets
For the rest, I'd go aftermarket and get better stuff for less $$ if you're not afraid of turning a wrench:
  • Short throw - KartBoy, mayb add a knob too
  • Boost gauge, or cluster with EGT and oil press/temp
Stereo is really subjective. If you don't want to go aftermarket, then you probably should consider the OEM premium sound option. It's only slightly better than the stock setup, but it's good enough to satisfy the casual listener. The stock setup is pretty weak.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Do not get the factory premium sound. It is one of the worst OEM systems I've ever heard. Just get the base system and spend the money you've saved on some cheap components for the front and coaxials in the back. I'd suggest a weak subwoofer or midbass speaker but you'll need the trunk room for the dog.
As far as handling goes the wagon does have a thinner rear sway bar than the sedan. I would also assume some more chassis flex because of the lack of a trunk. You will get rubbing with larger tires than stock too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an 02 wagon, got 35k on it now. In the handling department I added an after market sway bar in the back and a tower brace in the front. I would guess that with the tire upgrade my wagon handles as good as most any sedan. I like the new models, but I like the bug eyes on the old. The sound system is okay, but again it depends on what you are use too.
The short throw shifter is a good thing. I kept the clock and had a boost gauge added, (running 16 pounds of boost). Tough little cars that go down about any road in any weather. Good luck.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I just ticked over 35K also. I'm stock suspension but as soon as the funds arive I'm getting new tires. The RE92s are junk. But first I'm putting my old head unit and components in. I am kind of an audiophile so take my opinions on the factory system with a grain of salt. I'm sure many people will be happy with a working stereo.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a german shepherd and she goes in the back all the time, there's plenty of space without the seats going down. A large greyhound might be streching it a little.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
GTScoob said:
I am kind of an audiophile so take my opinions on the factory system with a grain of salt. I'm sure many people will be happy with a working stereo.
No, I'm also spoiled to decent sound systems in cars. I installed a new head unit, front components, subwoofer, and added an amp before many months went by...:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts