ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had gotten all psyched up because I had thought the redesigned WRX would be hitting the shores next year, prime time for me to be buying my next car (currently my 07 mazda 3 has about 120k miles on it). I wanted something high performance and all wheel drive and 5 doors (really, there is only one car on the market that fits this description). Now the news is that the redesign might not be available until 2014 or 2015, which is far too long for me to wait to get a new car. I doubt it is going to be anything like that lowered Toyota Venza with side skirts they have been showing pictures of as a "preview" of what is to come, but it seems reasonable that it will be at least 2-3 more years for them to build a performance version around their new platform and then take their good old time bringing it to these shores. The last generation lasted 7 years so 2014 seems like a good guess if they stay with a similar time frame.

Anyway, I digress in sadness. Since I still do need another car in the meantime and I dont want just any old grocery getter thing, I was thinking about the possibility of leasing a WRX premium for like ~350 a month (totally a guess pulled from a hat). However it seems like the typical Subaru lease is 42 months instead of 36 (I would have even probably preferred 24 months instead). If I am boxed into 42 months though to get a fair deal that ends up being 15k (plus whatever up front), and I could get a used 09 for around 20k anyway, and then at least have some residual left over to put towards a new one when the time comes.

I keep reading a bunch of negative posts here about leasing, but since what I am really doing is waiting for the redesign it made more sense to me. But then it is more like just renting the car rather than having some equity toward something new in a couple years.

Thoughts? I would prefer comments on the leasing/buying situation rather than speculation about when/if/what the new WRX will be as I have read all the same posts and auto articles/blogs as everyone else.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
No one on here can really tell you what is financially best for you to do....

If I were in your shoes though, I'd look at getting some type of newer beater to buy and just sell it or trade it in when you're ready to pick up the new gen WRX.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear you on the beater but I just never could see myself doing that as I love driving too much. Don't want a car that i hate to drive. Though the used option is more appealing since I need to learn to drive stick better and a new car would just suffer in my inexperienced hands.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Yea, I completely see where you are coming from.

In my opinion though it's not exactly the best decision financially to lease something just to get rid of it, or to buy something newer (09+) just to trade it in 2yrs. Once again though, I don't know your financial situation so for you leasing/buying something newer might not be a strain on you and if that's the case then do what you would like to. I just know that I wouldn't be able to do that lol.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Get a new BRZ and have fun with that - shouldn't have any trouble finding a buyer when you want to trade for the WRX, I wouldn't think.

For that matter, any new car! It seems like the used car market has been crazy lately. Most 2 year old WRXs are selling for within 2k of their sticker.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a fact lost on me. Carmax was selling a Mazda 3, same year as mine and all the same options except it was a 4 door instead of a 5 door with 110k miles on it for like 12k. Mine only has 10k more miles and is the popular hatchback model. I could not believe they were selling a 5 year old car with over 100k miles for half of what the sticker price was brand new. I was guessing I could get at best 6k for mine with that many miles on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts