ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I'm in the market for a "new" used WRX or STI since some 16 yr-old fool in a Ford Focus dropped Taco Bell in his lap and rear ended me at 40 mph.

I'm looking at 05-06 WRXs and STIs. I would much rather have an STI but also be happy with a WRX. So I have two main questions:

1. From my research, it looks like I could get a WRX with under 40k miles for around $14-16k or a STI with ~65k miles for $17-18k. Which do you guys think would be a better investment overall?

2. Personally I would prefer to have the STI, but I am spending more on a car with almost twice the miles of a WRX. I can just hear my dad telling me it's a crazy idea and not worth it at all. IF you think the STI is the way to go, can you offer any selling points that I could present my dad to justify the extra cost + higher mileage? (something in the reliability/safety/value department)

Thanks, I need to get a car pretty much asap since my last one was totaled so any advice you could give would be great!

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
The sti over the wrx is always going to hold a higher value.

Your basically talking that the wrx and the sti are the same
car.. That is like saying a naturally aspirated impreza is the same
as a wrx. While they carry the same shell, they are two different animals.

The STi is:
2.5 liter
alcantra suede interior
brembo brakes front and rear
hid headlamps
6 speed much stronger trans
stock forged BBS wheels
better suspension
better aerodynamics

and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

How old are you?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'd say that it depends on the condition of the car, if it's a pos certainly dont get it but if you can find one for a good price that hasn't been thrashed (which is kinda hard to do if it's cheap) get the STi :)

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
make sure you get the service records on the vehicle you want to buy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 25 and in med school. I'm paying for the car, but my dad has offered to pick up the insurance until I graduate as long as he thinks I'm being smart about what I buy.

Good advice on the service records, thanks

I have been reading around different sites that the components in the STI engine are built better (forged?) than the WRX to handle the extra hp, does the STI have a better clutch too?

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Im sure the clutch may be a little better, it is a different part. The trans is the better piece of that equation. Forged parts no, some did the ESX cars had a cosworth bottom end, the pistons in the STi are better yes, but not forged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts