Subaru WRX Forum banner

Buy a 2019 WRX (my first WRX) now or wait for 2020?

7K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Ta2punk 
#1 ·
Anyone have any current info on how much better the 2020 WRX (non STI) is going to be? I just don't want to buy this 2019 and have a new model that's far better come out 6 months later.
Also if it does, how much of a hit would I take swapping my 2019 in for a 2020 if the 2020 ends up being something I just have to have.
My wife is going to be driving it also, so it'll be CVT not manual. Also torn between Premium and Limited as to if it's worth it for the seats and audio system.
Suggestions?

#2 ·
They hold value pretty well but unless you put a hefty down payment you'll take it on the chin for a trade in.

I don't see the 2020 model being anything revolutionary. I haven't heard much about it, however I've also not really investigated it. Subaru is pretty good about keeping things close to chest when it comes to upcoming models so it's likely any rumor is just that and not guaranteed. Until an official announcement is made I would not take anything online too seriously.

#3 ·
The STI and WRX are most popular in North America compared to the rest of the world. Subaru knows that now (the reason that the S209 is an Americas exclusive). If there were any big changes for 2020, Subaru would have likely showcased this at the Detroit Auto Show. It's where other exclusives have been announced -- the 2002 WRX, the 2004 STi, the 2015 LE STI and the S209.

It looks like Subaru will keep us waiting for at least another year.

#7 ·
If you enjoy what the car is now, then consider purchasing it. If you get into the car and wonder what the next year or two could hold maybe you should reconsider. I wouldn't necessarily buy a car that I wasn't satisfied with in its current form. At the very least, take this as reflection time to look at other makes a models.

I bought my new 2013 WRX because I wanted a 2013 WRX, knowing that improvements would come to the WRX line.

If you do make the purchase check this out before you jump into mods right away:

https://www.clubwrx.net/forums/ever...609358-hella-stock-vs-modded-long-winded.html

#8 ·
I don't anticipate a new WRX until 2021 or so. I did a bunch of research and waited until the S209 was released just to see if it would be based on the new model, and it isn't. Some folks are reporting it to be a MY19, but it's coming at the end of this year which will make it a MY20 by Subaru model years. The new model will be at least a 21. IMHO.

I ordered a 19 limited w/ nav on 1/14/19 after the S209 announcement.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I was leaning on the 2019 as it really started to grow on me with everything I would want (limited). However, seeing that it's already summer time, i'm sure the 2020 models will be coming soon even though there really isn't news of it. I'm hoping it only gets positive upgrades if any. (A better tune) I actually prefer a later or last year model than a new generation model. I fear subaru Is going to hit a new generation wrx with an ugly stick like some of their newer cars today. Just my opinion though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.