Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I must admit, I rarely race anyone. most of the time i am on the road is commuting to and from work, and while I still get to go fast, there are just too many cars on the road for anyone to cahllenge anyone.

Went out to dinner and a few beers with my dad, and after i dropped him off, I decided to take the longer route home. I get onto 95 from rte. 2, and my exit is only two up the road. but about a mile before my exit, i pass a sweet blue s4. its a young dude driving and i went past him at about 85. I pull over to the second lane from the passing lane on a four lane strip, and slow down till he comes up on my side. we are nose to nose at about 70 and two cars are blocking the middle two lanes vand im still not sure he wants to play. I zip over to the far right, still about even, and he floors it. I was a little behind, and in mid fourth. well, needless to say, at a hundred i double clutched into fifth at 6000 rpms or so, and about a lenght or two behind, and the s4 just LEFT the race. I mean, bye bye.

i flashed my beams, and he slowed up for me and i gave him the thumbs up. and i got off about three exits after mine.

I am stil a little bummed becasue I didn't do anything really to F*ck it up, but I'm still in love with black betty.

so I get to lexington street in waltham (goes right to the green in lexington center for you american history buffs, long straight road with lights) I'm going a little too fast, and a mid-nineties thunder bird pulls up next to me as we appraoch a light. he revs,. i rev. light goes green and I botched the start so bad I turned red in the face. stayed with him nonetheless and by the next light (about 1/8 mile) we pulled up again, but the light went green before we got there. from a roll at about 20, we both punch it, and by the top of third gear I am two + lengths in front, so i pull into his lane to finish the job.

at the last light (missed another turn home btw) he pulled up and complimented the car. he was bone stock, and it wasn't really a fair fight, but he was a good sport, and told me if i hadn't botched the start at first, he wouldn't have gone again with me.

well, i want to learn to drive better, even though I feel I'm pretty good. I just need more real racing experience (and a turbo back exhaust, and a sbc, and a CAI and a and a and a and a and a...)

g'night all.

DR

·
Registered
310 Posts
Good story, most of us don't race on a regular bases, when the heart starts pounding and your hand is shaky it is normal to scr*w thing up in a big day. Then after the race you can feel that funny feeling in your spine :) at least I do.

The truth is that this is one of the reason why we all bought fast cars in the first place, to feel the excitement.

Win or lose we are still more than just one of those millions of drivers out there with their boring cars.

So keep the pedal to the metal and fly.

I think you need a stage 1 kit hehe :)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
S4s are very fast cars. You put a chip in them and they will fly.

As for the Thunderbird, they really don't stand a chance against the Rex.

Glad you had a good time. Be careful ,we don't want to lose a great moderator like you to an accident or jail time!

WRXrumble, I know that spinal feeling that you speak off. It's weird!

-Jim

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Yep, we're all in it for the excitement. Very important rule to remember here... make sure the speed you're going is controlable especially in heavy traffic becuase when you are going that fast on the road you're putting other people's lives in danger too. Best thing to do is pay $20-50 on a weekend and have fun with your car at a local auto-x event. That way you won't have to worry about cops, other drivers, and risking your life ;) But yeah... once in a while is not so bad.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Adrenaline rush anyone?? :D

I "intentionally" missed my street couple days ago to race a brand spanking new Porsche 996 Of course I got left in the dust but it was fun! ;)

Oh yeah Good story and be safe!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Platinum WRX aka Jim, glad you mention the feeling, I thought I'm the only one that gets it. :)

As for running the autocross, that's the best place to learn the slow hand and other techiques to drive fast and smooth. I plan to go do some autocrossing again next year. I missed those days when I used to run my Turbo Eclipe in the B stock and later in the B mod class.

Wonder what class is the WRX in, anyone know off hand ?

- Paul

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Yeap that's true... sometimes you know that you're going to get your ass whopped but it's just fun trying u know? I think a lot of the Honda/Acura guys feel the same way when they try to race us so if they're good sports about it then it's all good fun for everyone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not trying to preach (this is a street race forum ;) ) but you might want to think twice about racing the next time if you have had ANY beer (or anything else for that matter).

I'm sure you were well under the limit, but the penalties for street racing are already pretty stiff, and if a cop smells beer on your breath, it could turn ugly. (the legal limit is actually quite low in some states -- you might not even feel buzzed to qualify) Sorry to be a flatliner, I just don't want you to have to park your car for an 6 months.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
don't worry, i was well within my limits. :rolleyes:

how come every time i post on the wrx vs world forum I get scolded?

"be careful" "don't drink and drive" "stay in control"

do i come across as that irresponsible? jeez, I moved out of the house to STOP hearing this crap. :)

dR

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
DR, Rezon sounds like Wheels when you mentioned a bar in our NE meeting discussion.

By the way dark_rex, you are the most irresponsible member on clubwrx.net and we all know it! LOL :rolleyes:

-Jim

·
Registered
554 Posts
And you swallow?

Hehe, I crack myself up.

Justin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts