Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So late Friday I'm driving home from work, I commute on the highway everyday from home and work. Well, about half way home, I get this really nasty burning smell, that filled up the cab. I pulled over to check it out. I didn't see anything, no oil nothing. I figured maybe I hit a small animal or something and they hit the exhaust. Nothing. So I get home, check it over again. Nothing. I didn't go anywhere all weekend stayed home. Started up the car this morning, no smell or anything. Then about half way to work I could smell burning again. I get to work and I jacked up the car, took off the skid plate and it's completely dry. Looked near the turbo, dry. I started it up and I could really smell it but seen no leaks. The smell is the worse on the passenger side engine bay where I have my AOS. I have a 2015 STi with only 11000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Does it smell like oil, exhaust or coolant?

·
Super Moderator
10,941 Posts
Is it the aos?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not 100% sure. The smell is in that general area. The smell is only really noticeable when the car is running. The car runs fine. It's going into the shop on Friday to get looked at. It's just weird it would start to smell like that driving on the highway out of nowhere.

·
Super Moderator
10,941 Posts
My exposure to aos systems is an obvious but subtle smell. I would almost bet that's what it is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it is the AOS, should I be worried about it? I know nothing about it. It was installed by previous owner. I've owned the car for about 4 months now.

·
Super Moderator
10,941 Posts
As I said all the ones I've ever been around have an aroma, but not a super powerful one. It does need emptied. Have you done that?

·
Super Moderator
10,941 Posts
Check and see if the drain is plugged. That one returns oil to the crank case, or should.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts