ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this burning smell happens in first gear when hard acceleration at light or merging into traffic. When it happens its within the first 5 minutes I have the car on. You guys think its the clutch, underbody coating (stock), or some other thing? Also while you are here, any tips on smoothish shifts while accelerating in an 09 WRX? Thanks :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Question #1: Do you launch your car or do you let the clutch grab at lower rpms (1000-2500) and punch it?
Question #2: Does your clutch slip (rpms shoots up and the car does not accelerate)?

As for smooth shifting one thing I learned in my WRX is to be patient and wait till the RPM's drop to match the next gear. The rpms drop slowly in our cars. There's a shifting tempo. I usually shift and wait till the rpms drop before engaging clutch. (the whole process takes approximately 1.5 seconds from clutch in to clutch out)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Question #1: Do you launch your car or do you let the clutch grab at lower rpms (1000-2500) and punch it?
Question #2: Does your clutch slip (rpms shoots up and the car does not accelerate)?

As for smooth shifting one thing I learned in my WRX is to actually being patient and wait till the RPM's drop to match the next gear. The rpms drop slowly in our cars. There's a shifting tempo. I usually shift and wait till the rpms drop before engaging clutch. (the whole process takes approximately 1.5 seconds from clutch in to clutch out)
Nah my clutch dosent slip that much, I guess I kinda launch my car but its usually like grabbing at 2500-3500 at the most. Thanks for the quick reply :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
It's possible that you're burning your clutch a little. Have you smelled burning brakes before? Clutch smells very similar. You may want to try to let the clutch out a little faster next time to reduce slipping.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Clutch is made of the same material (more or less) than brake pads, so yeah they smell very similar. It sounds like you're definitely burning your clutch, and being an 09 where you were already at a disadvantage for clutch longevity, you can't expect the car to last long doing that.

Unless you're drag racing at the strip or doing some other type of competitive driving on a track, those types of starts are not necessary. Low RPM engagement, wait until it's fully engaged, THEN step on it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
+1 to avoiding launch starts. You can always step on it once the clutch has 100% engagement at lower RPMs. Your clutch and wallet will love you more.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, really good help. I have a stock BPV so it cant be that. Must be the clutch slipping. Again thanks for the quick responses :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts