Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some noob questions... What is an EGT bung, when refering to an uppipe? Is it just a drilled hole? Or is it a special attachment that allows an egt probe to fit in the uppipe? Does each different egt guage from each company require a specific/different bung? Is this something someone could do themselves, or should you let the pro's do it?

Also, a local install shop quoted me $40 per guage to install them... is this a fair price? They are egt, boost, and fp... are any of these easy to install? I don't know much about cars, but I'm very mechanically inclined and learn quickly. Thanks!

Brent

·
1,911 Posts
Well, some people tap into their manifold but I like to drill and weld on a bung for it to make sure I get plenty of threads. It does get plenty hot there you know. I carry the bungs in both stainless and iron. $40 seems very good. We charge more than that since we have to take it all apart and dro the manifold. Of course if we're doing an uppipe we don't charge.

·
Registered
298 Posts
God said:
Well, some people tap into their manifold but I like to drill and weld on a bung for it to make sure I get plenty of threads. It does get plenty hot there you know. I carry the bungs in both stainless and iron. $40 seems very good. We charge more than that since we have to take it all apart and dro the manifold. Of course if we're doing an uppipe we don't charge.
I have the Defi EGT guage, but I am wary of installing it becasue I dont want to have a problem down the road. Not only that but the Defi sensor rod does not stay in the holder that it came with. It just falls out. Are you supposed to weld the sensor to the threaded holder?

·
Moderating on the run!
7,320 Posts
hobbzz said:
Here are some noob questions... What is an EGT bung, when refering to an uppipe? Is it just a drilled hole? Or is it a special attachment that allows an egt probe to fit in the uppipe? Does each different egt guage from each company require a specific/different bung? Is this something someone could do themselves, or should you let the pro's do it?

Also, a local install shop quoted me $40 per guage to install them... is this a fair price? They are egt, boost, and fp... are any of these easy to install? I don't know much about cars, but I'm very mechanically inclined and learn quickly. Thanks!

Brent
The oe uppipe has an egt probe located on it. Many aftermarket uppipe include the bung and you simply put your oe egt probe back in. Many are not coming w/ bungs and a small resistor is used to "fool" the ecu that everything is copacetic. The oe egt probe in the uppipe is not a necessary probe, it's there in the event the cat catchs fire (cats can get extremely hot!). Some uppipes were having problems w/ the probe backing out and then leaking, thus a trend to do away w/ the probe. If you have no cat there is no chance of a catostrophic event in the uppipe. The JDM STi uppipes come w/ no bung- doesn't need it, just have to use the resitor mod.

The "other" egt probe you speak deals w/ egt's measured at the exhaust manifold for your gauge. There still seems to be some debate which cylinder to locate this probe- don't know why. There is not enough material to simply drill and tap for this probe (not enough threads) that is why most use a bung in addition- many do have this bung welded. There is a fair amount of work in removing either side of the exhaust manifold- if they are charging $40 you better check what exactly they're doing for that $40.

Boost gauge is a very straight forward install- either mechanical or electronic- you can do this one yourself. I have a tutorial on installing an electronic Omori boost gauge, there is a good "tutorial" at subaruparts.com on installing a mechanical one (it's under installing the oe column mount boost guage).

F/P I haven't looked into.

Big Sky

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw the one at that site but the pictures are extremely small and I can't make anything out... And I don't have any oe guages... I'll be getting autometer boost, egt, and probably f/p...

·
Moderating on the run!
7,320 Posts
The one at subaruparts.com is simply a scanned in oe instruction sheet (s). This would be basically the same for any mechanical boost. See my tutorial (in tutorial section) on the electronic gauge (very similar to the mechanical).

·
Registered
699 Posts
The autometer boost gauge is quite simple to install. I'm attaching a picture of how i installed my gauge in the engine compartment

·
Registered
699 Posts
Then just figure out where to mount your gauge. You'll want to run the electrical wires for the light in the gauge. The black wire is just a ground and i attached it to the screw that sits right above the hood release latch (don't have a picture). The white wire is easiest just to run to the dash lights fuse (the fuses are right behind the little pull out drawer on the left bottom of the dash on the drivers side. Behind that just pull the red fuse in the middle row all the way on the right side. I'll attach a picture of this that i got from subaruparts.com of the fuses, just look where the white wire attaches.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Isn't there an easier way than drilling a hole in your up pipe. I heard somewhere that there is a stock probe that reads the temp in the exhaust and sends it to the ECU. If this is true, isn't it possible to just tap into that signal? Or am I regurgitating anal fluid?

·
Moderating on the run!
7,320 Posts
WRXG0blin said:
Isn't there an easier way than drilling a hole in your up pipe. I heard somewhere that there is a stock probe that reads the temp in the exhaust and sends it to the ECU. If this is true, isn't it possible to just tap into that signal? Or am I regurgitating anal fluid?
The only oe egt probe is in the uppipe. It's only function is to let know the ecu know if it reaches some absurdly high temp (it's posted somewhere) and prompt it to go into limp mode.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yes there is the OE EGT sensor in the Uppipe, but you can't splice it and run it to a guage. Something about Thermocouples not being able to have their signals split was one reason, and the other reason I believe is because the OE sensor is a different kind (gives diff. readings) than an aftermarket probe.

-Jason

1 - 14 of 14 Posts