ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I signed off on a 2012 wrx just shy of 24 hours ago and my wife has already clipped the bumper on the driveway. The driveway itself isn't very steep, but the ridiculous curbs in my neighborhood are. It's a pretty sharp wedge leading up to the driveway and it's raised about and inch or an inch and a half. Even at an angle the bumper and door sills come really close. Anyone have an idea for a non invasive fix? I live in a development with a home owners association, so I'm kind of limited in what I can do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMAG0044.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey there - hope this doesn't offer you but I live in Colorado and our curbs are similar but ours where we live are much steeper than that... Sure she hit that?? Just asking because I can go straight on my curb very very slowly and clear by 1/4"....

Maybe park on the street or if it did happen like you said then no clue lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't there and have yet to look at it. Just going off what I've been told. She said she backed out slow but was straight. I've gone in and out at an angle and didn't have a problem. I'll have to look at it when she gets back. The curb is probably raised an inch and a half vertically and then raises another 3 inches or so over a little less than a foot. Not offended, just looking for some ideas. I'm not worried so much about myself as her.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah that's a tough one. Maybe talk to homeowners and see if they'll let you mod The end of driveway?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fully plan on it. I can't say this is something I thought about driving that baby home. That's life I guess.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That's one reason I opted for the wrx instead of sti. Even with the wrx, I sometimes scrape the driveway a little if I'm not careful, especially when I have a passenger.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I looked at it and there is one spot where the curb is raised up and the joint at the top is raised. I guess she caught that lip. I think it will be ok if we keep to the other side of the driveway. The damage is minimal. Just some scratches under the bumper. But there are four plastic rivets that hold the corner of the bumper in and they're all gone. Anyone have any idea where to get replacements?

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
I had the same thing happen to mine.... about 3 months after I got my WRX, the apartments I live in had the roads stripped and repaved. When they were done, the parking spaces now have an entrance like yours, and I have scraped a few times.

Since you have an HOA, you could ask that they have someone come out and 'bridge the gap' between the concrete and the asphalt...I am sure you are not the only one in the community that scrapes.

If they are not willing to do it, they might let you got to a hardware store and buy some cold patch (the asphalt mix that is used to patch potholes) and fill in the 1-2 inch drop with a gentle grade ramp. It might help some

·
Registered
316 Posts
The trick with this and any other steep approach is to come at it on an angle, not straight on. When you come down the street stay close to the curb and then turn in to the driveway at the last second. This is so that the front tire gets to the curb before the front bumper does. As the wheel rides up the slope it will of course lift the bumper over the curb. This does have to be done at a reasonably slow speed, so that the suspension does not flex.

If you have no choice but to approach the ramp head on, then swing as wide as you can at the last minute so that you are still approaching it at an angle.

The trick with any steep approach is to make sure that only one wheel at a time is hitting the joint.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am having this problem too - seems to happen variably whether I am pulling in straight or not. Have not tried backing in yet.
Has anyone tried something like this? Curb Ramps - AutoSport Catalog
bridgit_1.jpg
They claim that water will flow through/under easily. I wonder how hard it is to install and whether it stays in position well.
JK

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
I would bet they are just heavy rubber bits that you lay in the ditch. If so, install is a sinch, and they would stay in place unless you peal in/out of your driveway.

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
rain water flowing down the street washed 3 2"x10"x12' pressure treated boards (nailed together for a curb ramp) down my street, almost 150yds..

Take note of how much water flows down your curbing before you decide.. Judging by the picture, I'd say that channel through the middle of that "curb ramp" pictured is about 3"x1.5", or there-abouts.. I'm sure a small shower, it would allow passage.. But come a turd-floater, I'd be surprised if it stayed put.

As for the OP's issue, that curb ramp wouldn't really work, as his entrance is raised, not channeled.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
How about this....anyone ever thought about backing into a driveway like that? You have a LOT more clearance from the rear (that's what she said).

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
it's still push the nose down, making the car a "pillow-biter" :)

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
:rotfl:

Well it works for my girl!

Seriously, by the time you get the front wheels up, you're more level anyway. Worked when my Acura Integra was 3inches off the ground at my old house...

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
I guess it could be worse... ;)

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
i scrape going into my driveway so i have to go at a harsh angle to clear my lip. try putting a board down like how that black thing in the picture is or just get some concrete and do it your self lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts